How to Improve Sentence Quality While Attempting Writing Task 2?
Students often find the IELTS Writing exam challenging, and they wonder how to improve their sentence quality in writing task 2 to achieve a band score of 8. Though they have a vague idea that they need to improve their writing skills, they are unsure how to do so.
Writing task 2 is similar to both the Academic and General Training IELTS exam, and it requires you to compose a structured essay of at least 250 words. Also, you must complete the task in 40 minutes.
There are several different types of questions in an IELTS Writing Task 2 question, for example:
- Advantage and Disadvantage essays
- Cause and Effect essays
- Opinion essays
- Direct question essays
- Discussion essays
- Task Response
- Coherence and Cohesion
- Grammatical Range and Accuracy
- Lexical Resources
Let’s understand what measures can be taken to improve sentence quality for Writing task 2.
The structure of a sentence is an important part, particularly in writing. You’ll notice a difference if you can ameliorate the structure of a sentence.
There are many ways to improve the structure of a sentence to make it more impressive.
1. Use Sentence Connectors
Lack of connectivity between the sentences indicates that the ideas and thoughts are not flowing smoothly. As a result, the most effective way to improve and organize your writing is through sentence connectors, but these connectors should not be used extensively. Otherwise, they are likely to affect your score negatively.
Some example of sentence connectors are:
2. Use Synonyms
Another effective way of ameliorating your writing task 2 is by replacing the common words with its synonyms. However, synonyms should be used correctly in a sentence. Otherwise, they may not convey your message effectively, and your scores can suffer. Hence, you should always pay attention to when and where to use the words while learning its meaning.
Some example of synonyms are:
3. Use Complex Sentence
A complex sentence contains one independent clause and at least one dependent clause. A dependent clause is the same as an independent clause, but it lacks one aspect that makes it complete. Therefore, using complex sentences is a sign of advanced English language skills. You can certainly get an 8 band or higher if you can perfect the art of using complicated sentences without creating any grammatical errors.
Some words that you can use to create complex sentences are:
Points to Remember
- Allocate about 40 minutes for Task 2
- The weightage of Task 2 is more than Task 1.
- In this task, you are required to write over 250 words. There is no upper word limit, but it is advised that you be conscious about not writing lengthy answers. Anything between 270 to 350 is considered best.
- Marks will be deducted for less word count.
- Do not replicate the question. Rather paraphrase it.
- Allocate 2 minutes for proofreading.
Also Check :
- Tips to write introduction in IELTS Writing Task 2
- Tips to write great writing essay
- IELTS Sample essays
- IELTS Writing task 2 Preparation Tips
- Tips to Improve IELTS Writing Skills
- How to get band 8 in IELTS Writing Task 2
- IELTS Writing recent actual test
- Band 9 essays
- IELTS Writing Answer sheet
- IELTS map vocabulary