IELTS Appearance & Personality Vocabulary : Useful Phrases & Expressions in IELTS Speaking
Today, I am about to share with you some phrases and expressions about appearance and personality. I hope that this post will be useful for you.
Collocations and Phrases Describing Physical Appearance
1 .Youthful appearance: to look young
Example: People always compliment on her youthful appearance.
2. Look young for your age: to look younger for your age
Example: Her style of wearing makes her to look young for her age.
3. To be getting on a bit: to be getting old
Example: Recent years, my parents have been getting on a bit.
4. To bear a striking resemblance to somebody: to look very similar
Example: Everyone often says that I bear a striking resemblance to my father, which I really proud of.
IELTS Actual Test Questions (January - April 2022)
4.8 of 5
4.6 of 5
4.8 of 5
4.8 of 5
5. To be good-looking: to be attractive
Example: She is the one I have a crush on who is really beautiful and good-looking.
6. To be well-built : to be muscular
Example: He has been working out for years, then he is well-built.
7. To be well-turned out: to look smart
Example: The guy who is wearing glasses and a yellow T-shirt is well-turned out.
8. To be overweight: to weigh more than is regarded as healthy
Example: Overusing fast food can cause to some health problem such as being overweight.
9. Shoulder-length hair: hair that comes down to the shoulders and no further
Example: She has shoulder-length hair, and a bright smile.
10. To lose one’s figure: to have a figure that has lost its toned shape
Example: Because she ate too much fast food recently, she has lost her figure.
11. To get done up: to dress smartly
Example: Whenever she shows up in the public, she always get done up.
Collocations and Phrases Describing Personality
1 . To be the life and soul of the party: a fun person, someone who is the center of activity
Example: He has always been the life and soul of every party that he took part in.
2. To hide one’s light under a bushel: to hide one’s talents and skills
Example: I have to say that she is the type of person hiding her light under a bushel.
3. To lose one’s temper: to suddenly become angry
Example: Please leave before I lose my temper.
4. Good sense of humour: the ability to understand what is funny
Example: The guy has a good sense of humour, then he always is the life and soul of the party.
5. Trustworthy: someone who can be trusted
Example: I have known her for many years, so I must say that she is a trustworthy person.
6. Self- confident: someone who believes in one’s own ability or knowledge
Example: My sister is self-confident and she always believes on herself even when she has to speak in front of lots of people.
7. Self-assured: someone who is confident
Example: I want to teach my children to be self-assured from early ages.
8. Introverted: Someone who is shy
Example: In my opinion, people who is introverted cannot be a good leader.
9. Extroverted: having a confident character and enjoying the company of other people
Example: She is extroverted, and she really likes to interact with other people.
10. Easy- going: relaxed and not easily worried about anything
Example: She is easy-going, and she never loses her temper.
11. To bend over backwards: to try very hard to help someone
Example: Peter has always bend over backwards to help me out whenever I am in trouble.
Also check :
- IELTS Speaking
- IELTS Vocabulary
- IELTS Speaking preparation tips
- Linking words for IELTS Speaking
- IELTS Speaking recent actual test
- IELTS Vocabulary books
- IELTS Grammar
- IELTS Listening Vocabulary
- Sports Vocabulary IELTS
- English Pronunciation in use Intermediate pdf
- Work Vocabulary IELTS
- Idioms for IELTS Speaking
- Advanced Vocabulary for IELTS
- IELTS Pronunciation Guide
- Common English words in IELTS Speaking
- Ough words
IELTS Speaking Part 1
How would you describe yourself?
I would say I am extroverted. I mean I really like to hang out with my friend in the weekends whenever I have spare time.
Are you similar to your brother(s)/ sister(s)?
I believe that we are quite similar.We are both the kind of people who can be the life and soul of the party. What I mean is we can make people laugh a lot in every party that we join in.
IELTS Speaking Part 2(Personality)
Describe a person in your family who you admire. You should say
- What his/her relationship is to you?
- What he/she has done in your life?
- What he/she does now?
- and explain why you admire this person so much.
Today, I would like to talk about one of my family members that I always take pride in. She is my older sister, who is currently working as a saleswoman in a multinational company.
As a salesperson, appearance is really important to her, so whenever she shows up in the public, she constantly gets done up. Also, due to her slim figure, it is very easy for her to choose clothes. Normally, she wears jeans with white shirts, but when it is necessary, she suits up for formal events. That makes me realize all of this helps her to stand out in a crowd, and draw attention from other people.
Not only is she a successful businesswoman, but she also spends a part of her time to take care of me. From the time I was a little child, she was like my best friend, we shared laughter and happiness together. And when I am in trouble, she will consistently be there for me and help me out.
All of this makes me admire her so much, and I have always wanted to be a person like her who has really succeeded in the career that she has chosen to pursue.
IELTS Speaking Part 3
Is it important to dress well whenever we go out?
It depends. If you go on an important date, you should get done up, because it shows that you respect the people who you go out with. But when you hang out with your mates, you can wear casual clothes that make you comfortable.
Which personality do you think we most want to pass on to our children?
I think it would be honesty, because this is essential in every situation. For example, honesty is the foundation of a good friendship. If you are dishonest, you cannot be trustworthy. Also children should be self-assured and self-confident, which could help them a lot in their lives.
Which personality do you think are less likely to suffer from stress or anxiety?
Easy-going, I think. These people will barely lose their temper and always stay calm when they face difficult situation. This will allow them to barely suffer from turmoil.
IELTS Speaking Part 2(Appearance)
Describe a person whose appearance you like. You should mention:
- who this person is
- what their relationship is to you
- what they look like
Okay. I’d like to talk about my aunt- her name’s Marta and she’s quite a character. She’s middle-aged but has a very youthful appearance. She’s a little overweight, I suppose, but not too much. She has a friendly round face, framed by thick blonde hair. She has a lovely complexion and she’s always well-turned out – she actually always looks like she’s going out for the evening to somewhere special. There’s never a hair out of place. I’ve always thought she bears a striking resemblance to someone on TV, I can’t remember the name now. She wears glasses, and always seems to have a different pair on every time I see her. I like the way she looks because she wears clothes that are right for her age and manages to look glamorous without it looking like she’s too done up. Yes, I’ll be happy if I look like her when I’m her age!