Describe your ideal house – IELTS Band 8 Sample
Describe an ideal house/ Describe a perfect house you saw. You should say:
- when and where you saw it;
- what it looked like;
- what special features it had;
- and explain why you liked it.
So I have been living in a 4-storeyed house for the last twenty years. It seemed fine at first, but as time went by, I gradually realised that there are many things about this house that I don’t like. For example, the stair is so steep that I’m almost always out of breath when I reach my room on the third floor. I want to move somewhere else.
I have to say I prefer a high-rise flat to a house. This is mainly because the air there is fresher and there are fewer mosquitos, which are a terrible nuisance by the way. My ideal flat would be on the 20th floor or so, overlooking the whole neighbourhood. It would have a spacious living room, a fully-fitted kitchen, three bedrooms with en-suite bathrooms.
The living room would need to be large enough to accommodate about 30 people, because I often invite friends over or throw small parties. I would like my sofa to be comfy and big enough to lie in and sleep. The walls have to be sound-proof as I can’t deal with noise; I must have a quiet environment to work or relax.
- Steep: (of a slope) rising or falling at a sharp angle:
Eg: The tent is set up on a steep mountain, where you can spot a breath-taking view.
- Out of breath: gasping for air, typically after exercise.
Eg: After climbing the mountain, she was out of breath.
- High-rise: tall modern building with many floors
Eg: Rose lives in a high-rise apartment in the city.
- Overlook: to provide a view of, especially from the above.
Eg: John’s house overlooks the valley.
- Nuisance: someone or something that causes a problem for other people, an area, etc.
Eg: Sheela is such a nuisance that I hate her her company
- Throw party: to host or hold a gathering.
Eg: John decided to throw a party to his friends.
- Sound-proof: to prevent sound from coming into a room or building, or from being heard outside it
Eg: Rose was looking for a soundproof apartment.
Also check :