Location/Place- Cue Card
This is an interesting question. The reason is, you need not have travelled to the place to explain all about it. You are rated for your English and not based on the facts. So you can say that you have been to Valparaiso, Egypt, Venice or any other place that comes to your mind.
Describe it in a lively manner and you’re sure to score an 8+.
But you do need the travel vocabulary at hand. Let’s go over them.
|Journey||Travelling from place A to place B|
|Trip||A purposeful journey[ undertaken for business or pleasure]|
|Tour||A journey for pleasure and includes visiting several places|
|Destination||The place where you are heading to|
|Starting point||The place where you start from|
You have to imagine. As you imagine, you should be able to put them in words. Even if you have seen the Taj Mahal, you should be able to talk about its intricate marble carvings in length. If you’ve holidayed in Maldives, you should talk about the beach and its shoreline. The key is that your voice should convey the excitement of travel.
If you choose to talk about the place you stay, then you should be all the more spontaneous because you’ve been living there for a long time. It would be better if you collected some details about your place, its history and problems so that you need not waste time in inventing one yourself.
Prepositions that confuse you when describing the time of stay in a place:
|Since||To describe an action that started and continues till date||He has been living NewYork since 1998|
|From||Gives complete information||He was in NewYork from 1998 till 2000.|
Given below are a list of oft repeated IELTS cue cards for the topic – Location/Place
- A Place you remember well that is Full of Color
- Describe a polluted place
- A place near water you visited
- Describe a place where you often go to relax
- Describe a City or a Town
- Describe a Place That Has a Special Meaning to You
- Describe A Place That You Have Visited And Particularly Liked
- Describe a place you would like to visit
- Describe a peaceful place you have visited
- Describe a transportation problem in your city/town
- Describe a place you know that has a beautiful environment
- Describe a historical place that you know
- Describe an interesting place in your home town