Describe a historical place that you know – IELTS Cue Card
Limited-Time Offer : Access a FREE 10-Day IELTS Study Plan!
In the IELTS Speaking section, one of the most common question types is the Cue Card Speaking prompt. The IELTS Cue Card topics will prompt you to formulate a response and speak on the given topic. To attempt this question, you must narrow down the essential questions on the given topic to answer within the given time. Consider the sample Cue Card below. Study the types of questions that have been formulated based on the cue card and how to go about with your response:
Describe a historical place that you know
You should say:
- What kind of place it is?
- What does it look like?
- Where it is?
- And explain how the place is related to history.
Error: Your Requested widget " custom_html-22" is not in the widget list.
- [do_widget_area copy-right-sec]
- [do_widget id="text-2"]
- [do_widget_area counseling-section-button]
- [do_widget id="custom_html-20"]
- [do_widget_area counseling-section-mobile]
- [do_widget id="custom_html-21"]
- [do_widget_area counseling-section-text]
- [do_widget id="text-3"]
- [do_widget_area footer-sidebar-1]
- [do_widget id="nav_menu-4"]
- [do_widget_area footer-sidebar-2]
- [do_widget id="nav_menu-6"]
- [do_widget_area footer-sidebar-3]
- [do_widget id="nav_menu-7"]
- [do_widget_area footer-sidebar-4]
- [do_widget id="nav_menu-8"]
- [do_widget_area sidebar-1]
- [do_widget id="custom_html-13"]
- [do_widget id="custom_html-48"]
- [do_widget id="media_image-2"]
- [do_widget id="media_image-3"]
- [do_widget id="custom_html-18"]
- [do_widget_area widgets_for_shortcodes]
- [do_widget id="custom_html-66"]
- [do_widget id="custom_html-65"]
- [do_widget id="custom_html-64"]
- [do_widget id="custom_html-63"]
- [do_widget id="custom_html-62"]
- [do_widget id="custom_html-60"]
- [do_widget id="custom_html-56"]
- [do_widget id="custom_html-55"]
- [do_widget id="custom_html-54"]
- [do_widget id="custom_html-53"]
- [do_widget id="custom_html-52"]
- [do_widget id="custom_html-51"]
- [do_widget id="custom_html-50"]
- [do_widget id="custom_html-47"]
- [do_widget id="custom_html-39"]
- [do_widget id="custom_html-38"]
- [do_widget id="custom_html-37"]
- [do_widget id="custom_html-36"]
- [do_widget id="custom_html-35"]
- [do_widget id="custom_html-34"]
- [do_widget id="custom_html-33"]
- [do_widget id="custom_html-32"]
- [do_widget id="custom_html-31"]
- [do_widget id="custom_html-30"]
- [do_widget id="custom_html-59"]
- [do_widget id="custom_html-29"]
- [do_widget id="custom_html-58"]
- [do_widget id="custom_html-57"]
- [do_widget id="custom_html-22"]
- [do_widget id="custom_html-23"]
- [do_widget id="custom_html-24"]
- [do_widget id="custom_html-25"]
- [do_widget id="custom_html-26"]
- [do_widget id="custom_html-28"]
- [do_widget id="custom_html-27"]
- [do_widget_area wp_inactive_widgets]
Sample Answer 1
As an Indian, I am proud of many facets of my country’s historical legacy, including several historical sites that have preserved my country’s rich and spectacular history for generations. Every turn leads to opulent mansions, old forts, and magnificent architecture. All India’s old structures and notable historical sites drip with history, depicting tales of romance, courage, strength, and conflicts. Today, I would like to discuss one such heritage landmark, the “Hawa Mahal,” which is unique in every way.
The enormous Hawa Mahal was erected by Maharaja Sawai Pratap Singh in 1799 at the intersection of the major road in Jaipur, Badi Chaupad. The term Hawa Mahal comes from the palace’s distinctive construction, a mesh of tiny windows that enabled fresh breezes to enter the palace, keeping it cool throughout the hot summer months. The palace was built primarily to allow the royal women to see the celebrations on the streets while remaining hidden from view outside, as was customary in the area. It continues to the ‘zenana’ on the perimeter of the City Palace in Jaipur.
The Hawa Mahal is a red and pink sandstone monument with a crown-like pyramidal structure. It features 953 small windows, popularly known as ‘Jharokhas,’ decorated with beautiful latticework. The Hawa Mahal palace is divided into five floors, each with a different decoration style. Inside the main palace, a lovely fountain welcomes you, from which you may ascend to the various stories. The City Palace, Jantar Mantar, and the always-bustling Siredeori Bazar can all be seen from the top of the palace. There is also a tiny museum with valuable antiquities and miniature artworks.
Sample Answer 2
There is no denying the fact that India is a land of culture and heritage. You take a turn around the round, and you will find an old, dilapidated structure that has its root dug into enthralling history. However, the place I am talking about is surely not decrepit but old enough and has a strong connection with history. It stands tall in the city of Agra and is known as the Taj Mahal.
The Taj Mahal is a tomb that is situated on the south bank of the Yamuna River. The mausoleum is of Mumtaz Mahal, whose love and memory inspired the construction of this world heritage. Under the large dome lay the bodies of Mumtaz Mahal and Shah Jahan.
The entire structure is developed of white marble. Also known as the Crown of Palaces, the Taj Mahal supports humongous domes. The entire complex stands on approximately 42 acres of land. It was constructed by combining Mughal architecture with traditional Persian designs. The tombs inside have been refined with precious stones.
While the exact date of construction is still unknown, it is believed that it would have commenced in the 1600 century. One of the historical facts about this building is that it took 20 years and approximately 20,000 workers from Turkey, Iran, and India to build this alluring structure.
Sample Answer 3
When we unravel the historical places, we come across so many amazing facts, tales of romance, bravery, strength, and battles. Sometimes, the historical significance and the site attractions mesmerize me very deeply. Here, I’d like to talk about a historical place in India. Two years ago, I went to India to feel the greatness, exquisite architectural beauty, historical culture, and diversity of this magnificent country. For me, exploring history is an escape from the monotonous lifestyle. As per the tourist guide’s suggestion, I visited one of the historical tourist places in India, the Red Fort, which was constructed over ten years from 1638 to 1648. This octagonal red fort is one of the most famous historical places and a politically significant monument. It witnesses Independence day celebrations every year. With a fine blend of Persian and indigenous architectural styles, the fort was constructed when Shah Jahan shifted the capital from Agra to Delhi, and it was then known as the Qila-e-Mubarak.
Interestingly, the Red fort was white as it was made of limestone, but when the limestone started to come off, the British painted it red. Today, the Red Fort stands gloriously where the power of the Mughal Sultanate is adorned in walls of red sandstone. It remains one of the architectural marvels of the Mughal era. In 2007, the Red Ford was designated as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. To summarize, Red Fort displays India’s artistic prowess and is an evergreen attraction.
- Meaning: investigate and solve or explain
Eg: The Police tried to unravel the mysterious death.
- Meaning: extremely beautiful and delicate.
Eg: I saw an exquisite piece of jewelry at the jewelry store.
- Meaning: a form of a temporary distraction from reality or routine.
Eg: Ria sings to escape the reality that she was widowed.
- Meaning: originating or occurring naturally in a particular place, native.
Eg: Those nomads are Indigenous people of Andaman.
- Meaning: in a way that is worthy of fame or admiration; impressively
Eg: The Prince took over the throne gloriously.