In the IELTS Speaking test, it is highly likely that IELTS examiner will ask you to talk about the place you live or would like to live. In today’s post, I will group a great number of phrases and collocations about accommodation into one single post with a view to helping you find it much easier when it comes to speaking about home and renting a home.
Benefits And Drawbacks Of Owning Your Home
- Advanced Vocabulary for IELTS Speaking – Topic: Food
- Common Idioms to Improve Your IELTS Score – Topic: Memory and mind
- Two-Word Prepositions to Score Band 7.0+ in IELTS Writing & Speaking (Part 3)
- Formal Prepositions to score Band 7.0 or Higher in IELTS (Part 2)
- IELTS Travel & Adventure Vocabulary: Useful Phrases & Expressions In IELTS Speaking
Your privacy would be protected
Example: Owning a home can allow owner to protect their privacy. For instance, if you live with a roommate who always makes noise, you will find it difficult to focus on your work.
You can take pride in your ownership
Example: People who own their own home can take pride in their ownerships.
You have to be responsible for maintenance costs
Example: When you live in your home, you will have to be responsible for maintenance costs.
You have to make a long-term commitment
Example: When buying a house, people will be required to make a long-term commitment.
Common Phrases And Idioms For IELTS Speaking Topic: Accommodation
1. Apartment block: a large building made up of small units of apartments
Example: In big city, people usually chose to live in apartment blocks.
2. Rented accommodation: property owned by someone else and for which a person pays a fixed amount to live in
Example: People who have not enough money to buy a house normally live in rented accommodations.
3. To own your own home: to have bought the property you lived in
Example: It has been my dream to own my own home in a building complex before I’m turning 25.
4. Dream home: a home you regard as perfect
Example: My dream home should have two balconies, where I can experience the city’s view with my family.
5. Back garden: a garden at the rear of the house
Example: A ideal house should have a back garden, then people who live in can get closer to the nature every time.
6. Spacious room: a large room
Example: Their new apartment has five spacious rooms, which is really comfortable for them to live in
7. To take out a mortgage: to borrow large amount of money, paid pack over several years, in order to buy a house
Example: The house that she was interested in is really expensive, then She had to take out a mortgage.
8. To do up a property: to repair an old building
Example: One my favorite is doing up an old property, each time I do this, I feel a sense of satisfaction.
9. To pay rent in advance: weekly or monthly rent paid at the beginning of the week or month
Example: Generally, a rented accommodation requires that people who hire a house need to pay rent in advance.
10. Permanent address: fixed address
Example: I need you to provide me a permanent address, so I could make a contact with you when is needed.
11. To get on the property ladder: to buy a property with the aim of buying another bigger or more expensive one later in life
Example: when I’m turning 25, I would like to settle down and get on the property ladder.
12. Mod cons: technology at home that makes jobs easier such as a washing machine, dishwasher
Example: The house is equipped with mod cons, which can make people’lives more comfortable.
13. To live on campus: to live on the university or college grounds
Example: I prefer living on campus, because I could have the chance to make a lot of new friends there.
14. To move into: to begin to live in a property
Example: I starting to move into the new house in 28th September.
15. The suburbs: a residential area on the edge of tows or cities
Example: In the modern world, many people prefer to live in the suburbs, because the environment is much more fresher.
IELTS Speaking Part 1:
Do you live in a house or an apartment?
At the moment, I am living in my parents house, but in future I am moving in University, and I am gonna live on campus in a double room.
What kind of accommodation do most people live in your city?
It depends on where they live. For instance, People who live in urban areas usually live in houses while those who inhabit in urban areas would stay in apartments because there is not enough place for building houses.
IELTS Speaking Part 2:
Describe a house or an apartment that you would like to live in. You should say
- What kind of accommodation it would be
- where it would be
- who would live there with you
- and why you would enjoy living in this place
Since I was a young boy, I have always dreamed of my future home. Today I would like to share with you about my ideal place that I would love to live in. It seems to me that urban environment is perfectly suitable for my personality and my needs, then living in an apartment block in a metropolitan is the best choice for me.
Because owning my own home means that I could do whatever and whenever I like, I have constantly wanted to make my dreamed apartment become true as soon as possible. In there I would live with my future family, there should be a small family of my two children, my wife and myself. Thus, the apartment should be in high floors such as 15th or above, and of course my place should have to be spacious, which is about 200 square meters that means my kids could have enough space to play. There might be a living room, a kitchen, three bedrooms and one balcony. In my ideal apartment, It should be equipped with mod cons, so when it comes to cleaning the house, we will find it easier.
Also I would plan to put tables and chairs out in my balcony, then I could sit in, have a cup of tea with my wife and experience the city’s view. This I believe will be a memorable memories for my beloved family.
IELTS Speaking Part 3:
Is it better to own your own home or to rent?
I would go for rented accommodation because of its potential advantages. The first benefit is that people who rent a house will not need to take out a mortgage and just pay rent in advance, which normally costs them a small amount of money. Another benefit is this house will not be their permanent address, which means they can move to anywhere they like.
What are some of the pleasures involved in making a home for yourself?
The important thing is they can enjoy finding their own home, then another thing is owning their own home, which means that they could do whatever they like. For example, by doing up a property, they can organize and decorate their house in a way that suits their expectation.
Latest posts by Ba Nguyen (see all)
- Word Of The Day – Chronic - July 30, 2016
- Word Of The Day – Candid - July 29, 2016
- IELTS Accommodation Vocabulary: Useful Phrases & Expression In IELTS Speaking - July 28, 2016
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!