Describe a place near water – IELTS Cue Card Sample 89
Describe a place near water (such as a river, a lake or the ocean) that you enjoyed visiting
You should say:
- where this place was
- what you did at this place
- who you went there with
- and explain why you liked this place
My family take a vacation every summer. Last year, we went to Ha Long Bay, which is located in Vietnam. As it is among Seven Wonders of the World, the beach was so impressive to me.
My family and I took a 12-hour plane journey through different time zones, which made me get really bad jet lag; so I didn’t enjoy the first day that much. However, to be honest, I have to admit that the scenery there was so beautiful and appealing to me, especially the beach. The beach, after a makeover, was extremely breathtaking, and the crystal clear water seemed to stretch endlessly till the horizon. To make it even more attractive, the waves continued to crash onto the shore, sounding like a romantic melody from nature. Though I was a little tired, I was so excited that I just wanted to jump into the water right away.
While some people enjoyed swimming, there were a lot of people who preferred sunbathing or playing volleyball, team-building games or making sandcastles. My family, after swimming a lot in scorching hot weather, chose to come back to the hotel to change clothes before heading for some good seafood restaurants.
Actually, this vacation gave me a wonderful chance to have some days off, and all my worries seemed to fade away. Furthermore, it helped strengthen the bond between my family members. That’s why I am always looking forward to going on more holidays like this every year.
- Impressive: attractive: something that can catch your attention.
Eg: His determination to pass the exam is quite impressive to us
- Jet lag: feeling tired because of the effects of taking a long plane journey through different time zones
Eg: She doesn’t like traveling much because she can easily have a bad jet lag.
- Makeover: a set of changes that are intended to make a person or place more attractive
Eg: One of the prizes was a makeover at a top beauty salon.
- Breathtaking: very exciting or impressive
Eg: My hotel has a breathtaking view of the city
- Crystal clear: completely clear and bright
Eg: The sea is not polluted here, you can see the crystal clear water with lots of beautiful fish inside
- Stretch: spread over an area of land or sea
Eg: The rice paddy field stretches for nearly a hundred kilometers.
- Endlessly: in a way that seems to have no end
Eg: The road appears to continue endlessly.
- Head for: Proceed or go in a certain direction
Eg: We can take a rest here tonight and head for the hills tomorrow.
- Scorching: extremely hot
Eg: Rose became dehydrated due to the scorching heat.
- Fadeaway: to slowly disappear, lose importance, or become weaker
Eg: The voices became louder and closer and then faded away again.
Also check :