IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topic: Sound/Noise
1. What natural sound(s) do you like (the most)? (Why?)
Hmm that’s an interesting question. Well, I’m quite a morning person, and furthermore I find almost nothing more relaxing than the sound of birds chirping (the noise birds make) in the morning. I find that sound to be so fresh and innocent, which immediately starts my day off at ease. Even though I live in a big city now, it takes me back to my childhood in the countryside.
2. What sounds remind you of your childhood?
I would say the sound of 90’s pop music. As my family was really into music, we would always take a spin around my country town with 90’s pop blaring (playing at a high volume), such as Britney Spears, Counting Crows, Nsync, etc. Although this music may have not been my parents’ preference, they would always play it for my sister and I. We have many family memories singing along to these catchy (a song that you remember) hits. Because of this, I would say these tunes are the soundtrack (the songs of a movie) of my childhood.
3. What sounds do you dislike? (Why?)
My biggest pet peeve (something that annoys you) is the sound of honking horns. They drive me absolutely mad! I find this noise almost unbearable (impossible to put up with), mostly because of it’s loud, abrupt (unexpected) sound which instantly disturbs my peace. Furthermore, it’s usually the sound of a frustrated or angry driver, which makes it even more unpleasant.
4. Does your school have any quiet places for studying?
As the library strictly enforces (makes you follow the laws strictly) the silence policy in the library of my university, this opens up a quiet, tranquil place for students to study in peace. Although she can be a pain (annoying) at times, I appreciate that the librarian, Ms. Schauerman, takes her job duties quite seriously. If someone speaks, she will abruptly come over and say “shhh! This is a library!” in a stern (sharp and serious) voice. Furthermore, the library is arranged with beanbags, desks, a computer lab, and conference-like desks, which makes it a comfortable place to get work done.
5. What (kinds of) music do you like the most?
Well, that’s a tough question because I’m a fan (I really like) of various kinds of music, but I’d have to go with (decide) 90’s music. I think I mostly prefer this kind of music because it’s quite nostalgic (making you miss the past) for me, as I’m a 90’s baby (someone born in the 1990’s). Of this decade (10 years) of music, I prefer the pop, alternative, and punk rock. I believe I’m most fond of (really like) this era (point in time) because of the light-hearted (not deep or sad meaning), easy-listening way of this music.
6. What are some places where there is a lot of noise?
As I’m from a bustling (busy) city, it’s nearly impossible to escape the noise. Sounds from street sellers, honking horns, motorbikes, barking dogs, and construction sites fill the streets nearly 24 hours a day. I’d have to say that the noisiest part of the city is the old town, as there is a higher concentration (high numbers in one area) of street sellers there, more new construction projects, as well as more traffic passing through, as it’s the liveliest part of the city.
7. What type of noise do you come across in your daily life?
Well, quite a cacophony (a mix of sounds)! It varies from the sound of screaming matches (fights) from the partners and families in my apartment, street sellers shouting out their product for all to hear, motorbikes speeding by, all the way to the sound of blaring horns. I would say the sound that defines my city most would be the sound of horns. As it has major traffic issues and non-defined lanes on the roads, it makes sense that the sound of horns would fill the streets.
8. Do you mind noises? (Do any noises bother you?)
As I’m quite a light sleeper (wake up easily), I become quite irritated by the sounds of noises around me. I’d have to say the most aggravating (annoying) is the sound of a barking dog. It’s just so shrill (something that gets in your head) ! I find it very disturbing and almost impossible to focus on anything else. Moreover, it makes me sad to hear that a dog is in such a state of distress that they must bark like that.
Latest posts by (see all)
- IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics 2019 (Sep 2019 – April 2020) & Sample Answers - August 20, 2019
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio - May 4, 2019
- Cambridge IELTS Series (1 – 14) for Academic and General Training Modules - April 22, 2019
- All Useful IELTS Writing Lessons & Websites - February 27, 2019
- 101 IELTS Reading Past Papers With Answers - January 23, 2019
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 & 3 Topics (Sep – Dec 2019) with Model Answers - December 25, 2018
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio [Latest Update] - December 21, 2018
- New IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics (Sep – Dec 2019) & Suggested Answers - December 20, 2018
- HIGH SCORING IELTS SPEAKING MODEL ANSWERS WITH AUDIO (BASED ON PAST PAPERS) - October 25, 2018
- IELTS Speaking Actual Tests (Sep – Dec 2019) & Suggested Answers - September 22, 2017
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 Topics in 2019 & Sample Answers - September 11, 2017
- IELTS Writing Task 2 Questions (2013 – 2018) & Model Answers - July 19, 2017
- IELTS Magazine – Week 1 (PDF) - May 20, 2017
- Useful IELTS Reading Websites & Resources for both Academic & General Training Module - April 28, 2017
- IELTS Writing Recent Actual Tests in 2018 & Band 8.0+ Sample Answers (Updating) - February 26, 2017
- IELTS Speaking Lessons - February 21, 2017
- Advanced Vocabulary List for IELTS - January 24, 2017
- 42 Topics for IELTS Speaking Part 1 and Suggested Answers (PDF) - April 14, 2016
- IELTS Target Band 7: How to Maximize Your Score (Ebook) - March 29, 2016
- Ace the IELTS: IELTS General Module – How to Maximize Your Score (3rd edition) - October 10, 2015
- IELTS Part 2 Sample: Describe a time you spent a lot of money on something - September 20, 2019
- Band 8 Sample for IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topic: Photographs - September 20, 2019
- New IELTS Speaking Part 1 with Band 9 Model Answer – Topic: Rubbish/ Garbage - September 13, 2019
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!