IELTS Cue Card Topic:
Describe an old friend you enjoy talking with.
You should say:
– who this person is
– how you knew him/her
– what you usually talk about
and explain why you want to talk to this person.
- IELTS Cue Card Sample 70 – Topic: Describe an Interesting Thing You Did
- IELTS Cue Card Sample 68 – Topic: Describe a Natural Landscape
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 Topics in 2019 & Sample Answers
- IELTS SPEAKING PRACTICE TEST 42 & BAND 8.0 SAMPLE ANSWERS
- IELTS SPEAKING PRACTICE TEST 41 & BAND 8.0 SAMPLE ANSWERS
Band 8.0+ Sample Answer
I have always been lucky enough to be surrounded by a large circle of friends who are incredibly supportive, compassionate and open-minded. And everybody knows how precious it is to have such a gift and I, of all people, know better than taking that for granted. That is why I always make effort to keep in touch with people I’ve become close with and one of whom is my ex-boss, aka my mentor – Eli.
Admittedly, it’s far from an ordinary relationship for most people, but to Eli and I, it came naturally. We first met during the training course we both attended for a luxurious soon-to-be-open restaurant in town roughly 2 years ago. Eli was our Filipino manager and I was about to be a hostess for the very first time. Every concept, every rule and every etiquette when working in hospitality industry just overwhelmed me and if it hadn’t been for Eli, a patient teacher as well as a dedicated friend, I wouldn’t have managed to complete my training and achieved high performance at our workplace. However, thanks to those hard times we’ve been through together, we became closer and our conversations would last endlessly ranging from family, career, happiness to setbacks in life. As a predecessor, Eli usually offers me valuable advice and emotional support whenever I confine in him. No lecturing. No “I told you so”. Just pure compassion. He always tries to bring out the best in people instead of being Mr. Know-it-all and patronizing, which is one of million things I admire about him.
Even though we are no longer working together and hanging out more often than we should, our strong bond has never got loose. We keep each other in the loop about everything significant happening around us and provide mutual support if needed. Once in a while, we would meet over coffee or dinner to catch up if our schedules allow and still, I truly, deeply treasure every moment together.
Vocabulary & Useful expression
- a large circle of friends: a number of friends who usually do things together
take something/ someone for granted: fail to appreciate the value of something/ someone
Ex: He has always taken her for granted, which is the main reason why they split up.
- make effort to do something: do something even though you find it hard to do
Ex: Her parents made effort to reconcile their relationship but it didn’t work out.
- keep/remain/stay in touch with: maintain communications with
come naturally: to be naturally easy to someone
Ex: Josh’s ability to play guitar came naturally when he was young.
- roughly: approximately
achieve high performance: do an excellent job
Ex: They spend hours practicing everyday to achieve high performance in a play-off round.
- hard time: difficulty that can be overcome with effort
Ex: 2017 is going to be a hard time for real estate market.
- offer (valuable/ practical/ useful…) advice
(offer/ provide…) emotional support
confide in someone: to trust someone with one’s secret or personal problem
Ex: Jack always has difficulty confining in anyone but his twin.
- bring out the best/ the worst in someone: cause someone to behave in the best/ worst manner
Ex: Susan is a bad influence. She always brings out the worst in me.
- Mr. Know-it-all (informal) (disapproving): someone who acts as if he/ she knows everything
Ex:We can’t get along with Steve, who plays Mr. Know-it-all every time someone raises a question as if we asked for his opinion.
- no longer = not anymore:
Ex: Tom no longer smoked since his wife was pregnant.
– keep someone in the loop: keep someone informed about something
Ex:We keep you in the loop if we have any update about the contract.
Latest posts by (see all)
- IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics 2019 (Sep 2019 – April 2020) & Sample Answers - August 20, 2019
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio - May 4, 2019
- Cambridge IELTS Series (1 – 14) for Academic and General Training Modules - April 22, 2019
- All Useful IELTS Writing Lessons & Websites - February 27, 2019
- 101 IELTS Reading Past Papers With Answers - January 23, 2019
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 & 3 Topics (Sep – Dec 2019) with Model Answers - December 25, 2018
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio [Latest Update] - December 21, 2018
- New IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics (Sep – Dec 2019) & Suggested Answers - December 20, 2018
- HIGH SCORING IELTS SPEAKING MODEL ANSWERS WITH AUDIO (BASED ON PAST PAPERS) - October 25, 2018
- IELTS Speaking Actual Tests (Sep – Dec 2019) & Suggested Answers - September 22, 2017
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 Topics in 2019 & Sample Answers - September 11, 2017
- IELTS Writing Task 2 Questions (2013 – 2018) & Model Answers - July 19, 2017
- IELTS Magazine – Week 1 (PDF) - May 20, 2017
- Useful IELTS Reading Websites & Resources for both Academic & General Training Module - April 28, 2017
- IELTS Writing Recent Actual Tests in 2018 & Band 8.0+ Sample Answers (Updating) - February 26, 2017
- IELTS Speaking Lessons - February 21, 2017
- Advanced Vocabulary List for IELTS - January 24, 2017
- 42 Topics for IELTS Speaking Part 1 and Suggested Answers (PDF) - April 14, 2016
- IELTS Target Band 7: How to Maximize Your Score (Ebook) - March 29, 2016
- Ace the IELTS: IELTS General Module – How to Maximize Your Score (3rd edition) - October 10, 2015
- IELTS Part 2 Sample: Describe a time you spent a lot of money on something - September 20, 2019
- Band 8 Sample for IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topic: Photographs - September 20, 2019
- New IELTS Speaking Part 1 with Band 9 Model Answer – Topic: Rubbish/ Garbage - September 13, 2019
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!