CUE CARD FOR IELTS SPEAKING PART 2
Describe an exciting sport you know
You should say:
what sport it is
How you know about it
How difficult you think it is
and explain why you think it is exciting
BAND 9.0 SAMPLE ANSWER:
Of all the different types of sports, I am interested in figure skating the most.
I first learned about figure skating when I watched an Olympic competition in 2012. I found this sport very interesting. I don’t think that figure skating is a sport for everybody since it requires great balancing skills. In addition, the person has to be very flexible and courageous when doing this sport.
Coming from a tropical country, I don’t get to experience ice and snow, thus, figure skating was new to me. Watching the athlete’s elegant performance on ice amazed me. I couldn’t imagine how people could do such things since just walking with ice skates is so difficult. These athletes danced on ice without even tripping. They must have spent a great deal of time practicing and preparing for their performances. Also, I found it very beautiful, as their costumes were so elegant. I even enjoyed the background music they used during the performances. In comparison to other sports, figure skating is an amazing feast for both the eyes and the ears.
USEFUL VOCABULARY & EXPRESSIONS:
to be interested in – to like or to enjoy. “She is interested in figure skating and he is interested in soccer.”
I found this sport to be very interesting – I thought this sport was very interesting. “He found the work to be too easy for him.”
It requires – something that needs to be done. In this sentence it means that figure skating can only be done by people who have good balance, and not everyone does.
It’s something necessary to have to do well at figure skating. “This job requires you to work 60 hours per week.”
Flexible – in this context it means that the person can do many things with his/her body, like putting your foot above your head while you are skating. “Yoga teachers are very flexible and can get themselves into all kinds of crazy positions.”
Courageous – brave. In this case you have to be brave to be a figure skater because itcan be dangerous. “The mountaineers are courageous for climbing so high.”
Elegant performance – describing the performance as elegant means that you thought it was very beautiful or gorgeous; it was pleasingly graceful and stylish in appearance or manner. “The dancers gave an elegant performance this evening.”
Amazed me – surprised or shocked me. In this case it was incredible to see the skaters do such things. “It amazed me that he received a 9 on his first IELTS exam.”
To trip – to fall down while you are walking or running or doing something else like dancing or skating. “She tripped and hit her head on the table. Ouch!”
A feast for the eyes and ears – something pleasant to watch and listen to. “The Taylor Swift concert was a feast for the eyes and ears. It was incredible to watch the show and I love her music.”
Latest posts by (see all)
- IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics 2019 (Sep 2019 – April 2020) & Sample Answers - August 20, 2019
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio - May 4, 2019
- Cambridge IELTS Series (1 – 14) for Academic and General Training Modules - April 22, 2019
- All Useful IELTS Writing Lessons & Websites - February 27, 2019
- 101 IELTS Reading Past Papers With Answers - January 23, 2019
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 & 3 Topics (Sep – Dec 2019) with Model Answers - December 25, 2018
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio [Latest Update] - December 21, 2018
- New IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics (Sep – Dec 2019) & Suggested Answers - December 20, 2018
- HIGH SCORING IELTS SPEAKING MODEL ANSWERS WITH AUDIO (BASED ON PAST PAPERS) - October 25, 2018
- IELTS Speaking Actual Tests (Sep – Dec 2019) & Suggested Answers - September 22, 2017
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 Topics in 2019 & Sample Answers - September 11, 2017
- IELTS Writing Task 2 Questions (2013 – 2018) & Model Answers - July 19, 2017
- IELTS Magazine – Week 1 (PDF) - May 20, 2017
- Useful IELTS Reading Websites & Resources for both Academic & General Training Module - April 28, 2017
- IELTS Writing Recent Actual Tests in 2018 & Band 8.0+ Sample Answers (Updating) - February 26, 2017
- IELTS Speaking Lessons - February 21, 2017
- Advanced Vocabulary List for IELTS - January 24, 2017
- 42 Topics for IELTS Speaking Part 1 and Suggested Answers (PDF) - April 14, 2016
- IELTS Target Band 7: How to Maximize Your Score (Ebook) - March 29, 2016
- Ace the IELTS: IELTS General Module – How to Maximize Your Score (3rd edition) - October 10, 2015
- IELTS Part 2 Sample: Describe a time you spent a lot of money on something - September 20, 2019
- Band 8 Sample for IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topic: Photographs - September 20, 2019
- New IELTS Speaking Part 1 with Band 9 Model Answer – Topic: Rubbish/ Garbage - September 13, 2019
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!