IELTS Cue Card for IELTS Speaking:
Describe a gift you gave that took a long time to choose.
You should say:
what it was
who you gave it to
how you chose it
and explain why you spent a long time choosing it or explain how the receiver of the gift reacted when you gave it to him or her.
Band 8.0 Sample Answer:
Choosing a gift for someone is usually a very difficult task, because you want to make sure that the person who receives it will like it. For that reason, I always spend a lot of time picking gifts for my relatives and friends. Today, I am going to share with you the time when I had to choose a gift for my little sister’s birthday.
It was her 5th birthday and I wanted to give her something memorable and special. I decided to go to a “Build-a-bear workshop” to buy her a stuffed bear. At this shop, you actually spend time picking materials to build your furry friend, from the cotton inside to the clothes outside. You also got to give this teddy bear a heart and a voice recorder, so that when you squeezed it, it would say whatever you recorded before. After finishing building the stuffed toy, the store would give him or her a birth certificate with a name and birthday.
My little sister was so happy when she received the bear. Well, kids always love a furry friend anyway. However, what was special was that as she grew up, she understood how much love I had put in the bear when building it for her at the store, so she came to appreciate the gift even more.
pick: [verb] to choose something from a group of things. Example: The man picked a blue tie from the collection in the shop.
memorable: [adjective] something special, good or unusual and therefore easy to remember. Example: I will never forget the memorable holiday that I had in Japan.
workshop: [noun] a place where you can do a practical activity to create something. Example: As a student, I attended drama workshops, because I had always loved acting.
stuffed bear: [noun] a toy in the shape of a bear, filled with cloth and made of some soft material. Example: When I was a child, I had a stuffed bear, which I used to keep in my bedroom.
furry: [adjective] covered with fur – a soft thick mass of hair that grows on the body of some animals. Example: People love pandas because they are so furry, with thick black and white fur all over their body.
get to (+ infinitive): [phrasal verb] to be allowed to do something. Example: When we visited the football stadium, we got to meet some of the famous players.
teddy bear: [noun] this is just another name for a stuffed toy bear.
squeeze: [verb] to press something firmly, especially with your fingers. Example: Every time you clean your teeth, you squeeze the tube of toothpaste.
appreciate: [verb] to recognise the good qualities in something or somebody. Example: At school, I appreciated the help that I received from my teachers.
Latest posts by (see all)
- IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics 2019 (Sep 2019 – April 2020) & Sample Answers - August 20, 2019
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio - May 4, 2019
- Cambridge IELTS Series (1 – 14) for Academic and General Training Modules - April 22, 2019
- All Useful IELTS Writing Lessons & Websites - February 27, 2019
- 101 IELTS Reading Past Papers With Answers - January 23, 2019
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 & 3 Topics (Sep – Dec 2019) with Model Answers - December 25, 2018
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio [Latest Update] - December 21, 2018
- New IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics (Sep – Dec 2019) & Suggested Answers - December 20, 2018
- HIGH SCORING IELTS SPEAKING MODEL ANSWERS WITH AUDIO (BASED ON PAST PAPERS) - October 25, 2018
- IELTS Speaking Actual Tests (Sep – Dec 2019) & Suggested Answers - September 22, 2017
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 Topics in 2019 & Sample Answers - September 11, 2017
- IELTS Writing Task 2 Questions (2013 – 2018) & Model Answers - July 19, 2017
- IELTS Magazine – Week 1 (PDF) - May 20, 2017
- Useful IELTS Reading Websites & Resources for both Academic & General Training Module - April 28, 2017
- IELTS Writing Recent Actual Tests in 2018 & Band 8.0+ Sample Answers (Updating) - February 26, 2017
- IELTS Speaking Lessons - February 21, 2017
- Advanced Vocabulary List for IELTS - January 24, 2017
- 42 Topics for IELTS Speaking Part 1 and Suggested Answers (PDF) - April 14, 2016
- IELTS Target Band 7: How to Maximize Your Score (Ebook) - March 29, 2016
- Ace the IELTS: IELTS General Module – How to Maximize Your Score (3rd edition) - October 10, 2015
- IELTS Part 2 Sample: Describe a time you spent a lot of money on something - September 20, 2019
- Band 8 Sample for IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topic: Photographs - September 20, 2019
- New IELTS Speaking Part 1 with Band 9 Model Answer – Topic: Rubbish/ Garbage - September 13, 2019
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!