Describe the advice you gave someone – IELTS Cue Card
Describe the advice you gave someone
You should say:
- What advice it was
- Who you gave this advice
- Why you advised this person
- And explain how this advice helped him/her
Here, I would like to talk about a time when I gave a piece of advice to one of my friends in the neighbourhood, Jack. Although I’m no influencer or adviser, I genuinely want to help others by giving advice that can impact their lives. My friend, Jack, recently completed his graduation in the Engineering field and was working as an intern in a startup company. After a couple of days, he was perplexed about his career prospects and plans. So, he approached me to ask if I could give him any better advice. When I asked him about his dilemma, he explained briefly that he wanted to pursue an MBA, but he couldn’t afford it, and he was dissatisfied working as an Intern Junior Engineer because it paid too little. I respected his perspective and advised him not to quit his paid internship as he would be without a source of income, and every job has its value. So, I suggested starting a side hustle like freelance writing, designing, editing, transcription, etc., as they’re a great way to earn extra bucks. Also, side hustles can be done from home. After a couple of months, Jack and I met again in the society meeting, where he thanked me for my advice. He also added that he improved his designing skills and is now freelancing as a graphic designer for a media company that is paying him well. I felt glad that my counsel had been helpful and advantageous to him.
- Meaning: a person or thing that influences another.
Eg: Mary was a social media influencer and had gained a million followers.
- Meaning: speak to (someone) for the first time about a proposal or request.
Eg: The Dean approached the students and warned them about ragging.
- Meaning: a situation in which a difficult choice has to be made between two or more alternatives, especially ones that are equally undesirable.
Eg: Keith was in a dilemma.
- Meaning: a particular attitude towards or way of regarding something; a point of view.
Eg: She was successful in changing her parent’s perspective on love marriage.
- Meaning: self-employed and hired to work for different companies on particular assignments.
Eg: Rose worked as a freelance interior designer.
Also check :