IELTS Scholarship: The Ultimate Guide for 2024
Limited-Time Offer : Access a FREE 10-Day IELTS Study Plan!
The International English Language Testing System, also known as IELTS, is the most eminent English language test for global immigration, with millions of test-takers in over 140 countries. It is approved by countries such as Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, and the United States.
What is the IELTS Scholarship?
The British Council created the IELTS scholarship that facilitates valuable international education experiences for deserving students from low-income families. Created with the aim of supporting students in their pursuit of studying abroad, this program fosters information exchange, ideas, and global connections. It benefits those students seeking full-time postgraduate studies at foreign universities recognizing IELTS band scores, and fostering educational ties between India and other nations.
|Scholarship based on IELTS score
|IELTS Scholarship amount ranges
|Around £10,000 and above
|Minimum marks to acquire for IELTS scholarship
|Test-takers need to obtain an IELTS score of at least 6.5 and above
Who can take the benefit of the IELTS Scholarship?
Only Indian citizens are eligible for the British Council IELTS Scholarship. This IELTS scholarship grant for Indian students would assist them in pursuing postgraduate studies at any international university in the world.
Eligibility Criteria for IELTS Exam Scholarship
IELTS candidates who want to apply for an IELTS exam scholarship in India must satisfy the following criteria:
- The person should be an Indian national.
- He/she must desire to attend a higher education institution that requires IELTS as part of the admission process.
- The person must have taken IELTS at any of the British Council centers at a recent date.
- It is necessary to have a minimum IELTS band score of 6.5.
- He or she must undertake full-time postgraduate studies outside of India.
- Applicants must provide a letter of acceptance from the attending university.
Application and Selection Details of IELTS Scholarship for Indian Students 2023
Students who wish to avail themselves of the IELTS scholarship benefits must first take the IELTS test and get their results. IELTS scores from previous years can be used to apply for the current IELTS Scholarship since IELTS results are valid for two years. Candidates must have the following papers in order to apply for an IELTS scholarship:
- A completed application
- Copy of IELTS Test Report Form
- A recent photo attached to the application
- Task A (300-word limit)
- Disability Certificate (if applicable)
Short-listed candidates will get an email from the screening panel informing them of their status. These candidates must prepare a brief presentation on an assigned assignment and submit a letter of acceptance from an institution that accepts IELTS as part of their admission standards within the time restriction specified on the British Council website after being selected.
If applicants do not send their letters of acceptance, they will be removed from the shortlist of candidates immediately. To choose the winning students, the panel will thoroughly interview all shortlisted candidates.
Where Can I Find the British Council IELTS Scholarship Application Form?
The application form for the British Council IELTS scholarship can be downloaded from the British Council’s website. Make sure to verify the website’s application deadline form. A panel of British Council officers selects the candidates based on their performance on the application form’s task completion criteria (i.e. Task A). In this exercise, the candidate must respond in no more than 300 words to a question posed in the application.
What is the Process for Disbursing Scholarship Funds to Students?
Students will not get their scholarship payments; instead, they will be placed directly into the university where they will be studying when the British Council has validated their status with that institution.
Top 5 IELTS Scholarships for Indian Students
The following list unveils a range of funding opportunities to support your pursuit of international education. This carefully curated list encompasses a range of scholarships offered by universities, organizations, and governments, providing financial assistance and recognition for exceptional academic achievements.
Great Scholarship India
- The Great Scholarship is co-funded by the British Council and the UK Great Britain’s Campaign for students who want to attend one of the best colleges in the United Kingdom.
- For a one-year postgraduate degree, this IELTS scholarship gives up to £10,000 in scholarship.
- Imperial College, University College London, University of Bath, University of Edinburgh, University of Kent, University of Manchester, University of Warwick, and other universities participate in this IELTS scholarship.
Tip: Before applying for this program, students must confirm the eligibility criteria.
IELTS Fee Waiver Scholarship
- The IELTS Fee Waiver Scholarship is extended to qualified individuals coming from economically disadvantaged families.
- The scholarship covers the entire registration fee for students.
- It applies to both British Council and IDP fees.
Tip: Before applying for the scholarship, be sure you meet the program’s qualifying requirements.
Charles Wallace India Trust Scholarship
- The Charles Wallace India Trust Scholarship is another type of IELTS scholarship available to Indian candidates in their early or mid-career who want to acquire experience in the United Kingdom.
- It gives candidates a sum of around GBP 1400 (Rs. 1,44, 730) to pursue research or study throughout their stay.
The Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship Program
- In collaboration with UK institutions, the Department for International Development, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS), the Department for Business, and the Department for Education (DFE) fund the Commonwealth Grant and Fellowship Program.
- This scholarship covers not only the IELTS exam price but also tuition, return international economy airfare, enough maintenance, and other benefits.
- Successful candidates living in urban regions may expect a stipend of around £1,116 – £1,369 (Rs. 1.35 – 1.64 Lakhs) per month.
British Council IELTS Award
- Only students who take the IELTS exam in a German British Council test facility are eligible for the British Council IELTS Award.
- Candidates have the option of attending any of the international universities for further study.
- Candidates will be offered a sum ranging from £3,000 to £10,000 (Rs. 3.07-10.26 lakhs) each.
- Candidates must additionally submit an IELTS Test Report Form (TRF) from the British Council in Germany.
Indian students have a large selection of colleges to choose from, with over 2500 schools and programs accepting IELTS in the United States alone. In addition, the award can be used at any university in any nation outside of India that accepts IELTS for postgraduate entrance criteria.
Intrigued to delve further into the world of IELTS? Discover valuable insights, tips, and resources on our website that can help you navigate the IELTS journey.
Q1: Can I apply for multiple IELTS Scholarships?
Ans: Yes, you can apply for multiple IELTS Scholarships if you meet the eligibility criteria for each scholarship. However, it’s important to carefully read the terms and conditions of each scholarship and submit separate applications if required.
Q2: How are IELTS Scholarship recipients selected?
Ans: Recipients are usually selected based on a combination of factors, including their IELTS scores, academic achievements, financial need, personal statement, and sometimes an interview or additional assessments.
Q3: Do I need to submit proof of my IELTS score with my scholarship application?
Ans: Yes, most scholarship applications will require you to submit a copy of your official IELTS score report as proof of your achievement. Make sure to obtain and keep a copy of your IELTS test results.
Q4: Can I use an old IELTS score to apply for a scholarship?
Ans: Some scholarships accept older IELTS scores, while others may have a validity period for the scores. It’s important to check the specific requirements of each scholarship regarding the acceptable timeframe for IELTS scores.
Q5: Is there a limit to the number of IELTS Scholarships I can receive?
Ans: Each scholarship provider may have its own policies regarding the number of scholarships an individual can receive. Some scholarships may have restrictions, while others may not impose any limits.