Describe an important event that you celebrated
You should say:
What it was
Where it happened
Why it was important
How people felt about it
- IELTS Part 2 Sample: Describe a time you spent a lot of money on something
- Band 9 Sample for IELTS Speaking Part 2: Describe a present you received which was made by hand
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 Band 9 Sample – Topic: Describe an important plant in your country
- Band 9 Sample for IELTS Speaking Part 2 & 3 in 2019 – Topic: Describe an occasion that you wore formal clothes
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 Sample: A time you invited family or friends to have dinner at home or restaurants
I’m going to tell you about a very special event in American culture, the sixteenth birthday which we refer to as the “Sweet Sixteen”. This tends to be an extravagant birthday party, as it is a rite of passage (a big life event) into adulthood. Now, let me tell you about mine.
Well, since my mother passed away just three years before my sixteenth birthday, my two aunts, cousins, and my sister wanted to make sure that this was an unforgettable day for me. To my surprise, my aunts booked a limousine for us girls to go have an upscale (fancy) dinner at the downtown harbor in Baltimore, Maryland. I put on my finest dress, which was a deep navy blue color which accentuated (highlighted; draws attention to) my eyes, with a pair of shiny silver heel which matched with my jewelry. I felt on top of the world (extremely happy)!
This was an important day for me, as I had all the closest female family members there with me. I feel that sixteen is a turning point in life, as I started to feel more like a woman rather than a girl. Since I lived in the countryside and didn’t often have the chance to go into the city, this was a luxury for me. All in all, it was a day that made me feel very special, which was good luck as I entered into my womanhood.
In American culture, people tend to put a lot of emphasis on their sixteenth birthdays. There are even TV shows with girls, usually very spoiled (people who have a lot, usually rich), planning their parties. As sixteen is the age where you are able to get your driver’s license, there is a lot of pressure on parents to buy their children a car. Simply put, it’s a day of high expectations and life changes.
For Part 3, please check out IELTS Speaking Part 3 Sample – Topic: Events/ Celebration
Latest posts by IELTS Material (see all)
- IELTS Part 2 Sample: Describe a time you spent a lot of money on something - September 20, 2019
- Band 8 Sample for IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topic: Photographs - September 20, 2019
- New IELTS Speaking Part 1 with Band 9 Model Answer – Topic: Rubbish/ Garbage - September 13, 2019
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!