For Speaking Part 2 Topic: A Special Meal You Have Had, you can check out our post on ieltsmaterial.com: IELTS Cue Card Sample 103 – Topic: A Special Meal You Have Had
- Band 9 Part 2 & 3 Sample with Audio – Topic: Describe a film or TV show that made you laugh a lot
- IELTS Speaking Test in October 2018 with Band 9 Model Answers with Audio
- IELTS Speaking Test in the US – July 2018 & Model Answers with Audio
- Recent IELTS Speaking Exam in Australia – May 2018 & Model Answers
- IELTS Speaking Actual Test in India & Model Answers
Speaking Part 3
Describe what you think is a healthy diet.
Developing healthy eating habit isn’t as confusing or as restrictive as many people imagine. Personally, a healthy diet is the one which combines enough nutrients for one’s life. Therefore, consuming a rich variety of food is very important because eating a wide assortment of foods helps ensure that you get all of the nutrients, especially the disease-fighting potential that foods offer.
Healthy diet (noun) A healthy diet is one that helps to maintain or improve overall health
Assortment (noun) a group or set of things of various types
Are there many vegetarians in your country?
Yes, they are. The number of people following vegetarianism has been increasing recently. It is thought that old people or those following a religious, like Buddhism, will be vegetarians; however, youngsters also join to vegetarian community because of many reasons.
Why do you think some people choose to be vegetarians?
People become vegetarians for many reasons, including health, religious convictions, concerns about animal welfare or the use of antibiotics and hormones in livestock, or a desire to eat in a way that avoids excessive use of environmental resources. Some people follow a largely vegetarian diet because they can’t afford to eat meat. Vegetarianism has become more appealing and accessible, thanks to the year-round availability of fresh produce, more vegetarian dining options, and the growing culinary influence of cultures with largely plant-based diets.
Animal welfare (noun) good care and living conditions for animals
Antibiotics (noun) a drug that cures illnesses and infections caused by bacteria.
Livestock (noun) animals such as cows, sheep, and pigs that are kept on farms
Year-round (adj) happening, continuing, or available through the whole year
Produce (noun) food or other things that are grown in large quantities to be sold
Culinary (adj) relating to food and how to cook it
Is the food that people eat today in your country different to the food that people used to eat in the past? (if yes, in what ways has it changed?)
Personally, eating style of most people has changed recently. Significantly, food hygiene is mentioned everyday in news. Therefore, people are very cautious when they choose ingredients in reliable market/supermarket and cook properly. Those fat-free or low-fat food and veggies are more preferred in daily meal compared to in the past, choosing food were mostly based on interests.
Hygiene (noun) the practice of keeping yourself and the things around you clean, in order to prevent illness and disease
Fat-free (adj) containing no fat
Low-fat (adj) low-fat food contains only a small amount of fat
Veggie (n) a vegetable
How do you think the way we eat will change in the future?
Yes, I do. I think people nowadays pay more attention to healthy food because the awareness of health has been raised among young and old people. Therefore, it will be a remarkable innovation in food consumption in the future.
Is American-style ‘fast food’ popular in your country? (Why? Popular with whom?)
Due to the trend of globalization, fast food has become more and more popular such as KFC, Lotteria, Burger King or Domino. Why are those brands popular in our country? The first cause is needs of modern community which have intensive activities. In a family, both husband and wife have a tendency to have a job. Consequently, they do not have enough time to cook and the frequency of eating out increases. Secondly, efforts of fast food restaurant companies to enhance the nutritional quality of their products and services are also the cause of their popularity.
Have a tendency for something (phrase) an attitude, habit, or situation that is starting to develop in a particular way
Nutritional quality (phrase)
What do you think of this popularity- is it as good thing?
The popularity of fast food restaurants has certainly influenced some of the changes in the community. It brings benefits to this hectic life with its quick service and convenience place. Other than that, the increasing number of customers that come to restaurants became the reason for greater number of restaurant staff to be needed and the demand for restaurant personnel made it possible for more people to consider work in a restaurant as an attractive option. With this said, there are many more entry level job opportunities for people.
Hectic (adj) full of busy activity
Entry-level job (phrase) an entry-level job is at the lowest level in a company or organization
More and more people are becoming overweight nowadays. What do you think might be the causes of this?
One major consequence of eating fast food every day is excess calorie consumption. Most fast food contains calories from refined sugar and fats. It is also high in sodium from salt and other addictive substance which can cause someone to eat it more and more. Consuming more calories than human needs leads to obesity which causes some health problems such as hypertension, diabetes, heart disease and even cancer.
Refined sugar (noun) it comes from sugar cane or sugar beets, which are processed to extract the sugar
Fat (noun) fats (plural)
High in (adj) containing a lot of something
Addictive (adj) Causing or tending to cause addiction; habit-forming
Hypertension (noun) abnormally high blood pressure
Latest posts by (see all)
- IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics 2019 (Sep 2019 – April 2020) & Sample Answers - August 20, 2019
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio - May 4, 2019
- Cambridge IELTS Series (1 – 14) for Academic and General Training Modules - April 22, 2019
- All Useful IELTS Writing Lessons & Websites - February 27, 2019
- 101 IELTS Reading Past Papers With Answers - January 23, 2019
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 & 3 Topics (Sep – Dec 2019) with Model Answers - December 25, 2018
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio [Latest Update] - December 21, 2018
- New IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics (Sep – Dec 2019) & Suggested Answers - December 20, 2018
- HIGH SCORING IELTS SPEAKING MODEL ANSWERS WITH AUDIO (BASED ON PAST PAPERS) - October 25, 2018
- IELTS Speaking Actual Tests (Sep – Dec 2019) & Suggested Answers - September 22, 2017
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 Topics in 2019 & Sample Answers - September 11, 2017
- IELTS Writing Task 2 Questions (2013 – 2018) & Model Answers - July 19, 2017
- IELTS Magazine – Week 1 (PDF) - May 20, 2017
- Useful IELTS Reading Websites & Resources for both Academic & General Training Module - April 28, 2017
- IELTS Writing Recent Actual Tests in 2018 & Band 8.0+ Sample Answers (Updating) - February 26, 2017
- IELTS Speaking Lessons - February 21, 2017
- Advanced Vocabulary List for IELTS - January 24, 2017
- 42 Topics for IELTS Speaking Part 1 and Suggested Answers (PDF) - April 14, 2016
- IELTS Target Band 7: How to Maximize Your Score (Ebook) - March 29, 2016
- Ace the IELTS: IELTS General Module – How to Maximize Your Score (3rd edition) - October 10, 2015
- IELTS Part 2 Sample: Describe a time you spent a lot of money on something - September 20, 2019
- Band 8 Sample for IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topic: Photographs - September 20, 2019
- New IELTS Speaking Part 1 with Band 9 Model Answer – Topic: Rubbish/ Garbage - September 13, 2019
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!