IELTS Speaking Practice Test 40 & Band 8.0 Sample Answers
- 1 Speaking Part 1
- 1.0.1 1 Do you work or are you a student?
- 1.0.2 2 What is your major about?
- 1.0.3 3 Do you enjoy your major?
- 1.0.4 4 Is there anything you don’t like about your major?
- 1.0.5 5 What do you don’t like about being a teacher?
- 1.0.6 6 What kind of jobs get very high salaries in your country?
- 1.0.7 7 Will you do the same job in the future?
- 1.0.8 8 What’s your favorite color?
- 1.0.9 9 Are there any colors that have a special meaning in your country?
- 1.0.10 10 Are there any colors you dislike? Why?
- 1.0.11 10 Do you think colors are important?
- 1.0.12 11 Why do some people like dark colors?
- 1.0.13 12 When you are buying something, is the color important to you?
- 2 Speaking Part 2
- 3 Speaking Part 3
- 3.0.1 1 How do people in your country spend free time?
- 3.0.2 2 Is there any difference in spending free time now with the past?
- 3.0.3 3 Does this change bring any advantage?
- 3.0.4 4 How does finance affect the way people spend free time?
- 3.0.5 5 Is it important to have a hobby? / Why is it important for people to have free-time activities?
- 3.0.6 6 Is it harmful to spend too much time on a hobby?
- 3.0.7 7 What free-time activities would you like to try in the future?
- 3.1 Vocabulary For Speaking Part 3
Here is an audio of the sample answers given below. Please listen to it for more clarity on the Speaking Test.
Speaking Part 1
1 Do you work or are you a student?
Well, I’m a senior at Long Beach University. My major is Linguistics and I am about to graduate this January.
2 What is your major about?
As you can tell from its name, it’s about teaching English for students of all ages. It supplies me with knowledge about teaching methodology , how to prepare syllabus and deal with class situations. It’s very interesting major for me.
3 Do you enjoy your major?
Yes, absolutely. Teaching has always been my favorite job as I can pass knowledge to everyone. One of the perks of the job is that I can earn respect from others though sometimes this job is really stressful.
4 Is there anything you don’t like about your major?
Well, I think that my major sometimes is boring as the same lesson is repeated over and over. I don’t have many chances to have practical experience as I learn theories most of the time.
IELTS Actual Test Questions (July - October 2022)
4.8 of 5
4.6 of 5
4.8 of 5
4.8 of 5
5 What do you don’t like about being a teacher?
As I said before, being a teacher is pretty stressful as I have to stay on top of everything . For instance, controlling the class and finding suitable teaching methodology for weak students. Besides, giving marks for tests takes lots of time so I hardly have time to take a break.
6 What kind of jobs get very high salaries in your country?
I think that the more challenging the job is, the higher the salary people get. Doctors or engineers are one of the well-paid jobs as they require many years of experience and qualification.
7 Will you do the same job in the future?
Being an English teacher is a dream for me. It’s rewarding and challenging job so I wont change my decision.
8 What’s your favorite color?
I’m a big fan of vivid colors , especially red or white. They bring a sense of warm and I look good in those colors
9 Are there any colors that have a special meaning in your country?
Well, red and yellow are national colors . They appear everywhere, on the national flag, clothes and people often decorate their house in yellow.
10 Are there any colors you dislike? Why?
I have to say that I don’t like black. It doesn’t suit my skin tone and black reminds me of gloom so it’s my least favorite color
10 Do you think colors are important?
I think that colors are irreplaceable in our daily lives. Without them , everyday would be tedious and dreary. They beautify walls and streets with vivid colors and boost our mood in blue days
11 Why do some people like dark colors?
I think there are some reasons. It forms a sense of mystery so people can hide their true emotions like insecurity. Besides, people who look plump often wear dark colors to hide their weight and look thinner.
12 When you are buying something, is the color important to you?
Yes, it is. If the color suits my skin tone, it will highlight my beauty and vice versa. So whenever I buy clothes, color is my first consideration
Also Check :
- IELTS Speaking test
- IELTS Speaking tips
- Linking words for IELTS Speaking
- IELTS Speaking recent actual test
- Sports Vocabulary IELTS
- Work Vocabulary IELTS
- Idioms for IELTS Speaking
- IELTS Pronunciation Guide
- Common English words in IELTS Speaking
- Ough words
Speaking Part 2
Describe an interesting or unusual thing you did in your spare time
You should say :
- where do you do it?
- when do you do it?
- who do you do it with and describe why it was unusual or interesting.
I’d like to talk about a sport that I’ve taken up lately. I’ve just started going cycling a few weeks ago when my motorbike suddenly broke down. My office is not so far from my house so I decided to ride to work and do exercise at the same time. It started growing on me so now I go cycling for fun. I often spend time in early mornings to ride around the Sword lake. The weather is so pleasant and there isn’t as much traffic as in the afternoon so it’s perfect time to unwind. I often ride alone but I signed up for this cycling club where everyone share the passion for riding. I get on well with some members so we get together in the mornings, ride around the lake and the old quarter then stop by the eatery to have light breakfast. Cycling not only (7)makes my day but also (8)widen my circle of friends. Though youngsters aren’t interested in this sport as they have interest in other things like games or social networks, I personally think that it is the best way to(9) keep fit and (10)be as fit as a fiddle.
Vocabulary For Cue card
- Widen my circle: the action of expanding, broadening something.
Eg: She has widened her circle of friends.
- Makes my day: dull day pleasingly memorable for someone.
Eg: His helping hands towards his street dogs made his day.
- Share the passion for: enthusiasm, strong amorous feeling or desire, a strong or extravagant fondness, or desire for anything
Eg: Reema and Sheela share a passion for food
- Be as fit as fiddle: very strong and healthy
Eg: Always try to be as fit as fiddle
Speaking Part 3
1 How do people in your country spend free time?
Well, I think it depends on personality. People who are active are likely to hang out and spend more time outdoor. They may join in some clubs, make new friends or involve in some social activities to amuse themselves. On the other hand, introvert people tend to idle away the hours staying indoors and spending quality time with their families.
2 Is there any difference in spending free time now with the past?
Yes, it seems to me that cutting-edge technology has great impact on how people spend their free time. While youngsters in the past spent more time outdoors to play some traditional games, youngsters today play video games or surf the internet that’s why leisure pursuits today make people less active and creative than they used to be.
3 Does this change bring any advantage?
From my point of view, this modification has certain benefits. Browsing the internet allows people to update latest news freely and conveniently. That’s a good way to be in touch with the world. Besides, playing video games isn’t only good for mental but also physical health. It helps reducing stress ,depression and boosts the mood. Interactive games are fast-paced so players have to pay full attention or else they’ll lose. That’s why players are likely to focus and have better motor skills than normal person.
4 How does finance affect the way people spend free time?
I see finance has profound impact on spending in spare time. While affluent people tend to spend their time playing golf or chilling out at spas, people having low income are likely to spend time at home, watch a movie. The more money we have, the more money we spend so that’s why leisure pursuits vary according to finance.
5 Is it important to have a hobby? / Why is it important for people to have free-time activities?
I personally believe that hobby is a remedy for fatigue. Since you choose that activity, it will always give you pleasure and help you to unwind. Even if you indulge in your hobby for a short period of time, you still can feel the difference in your energy level and spirit. While you pursue a hobby, you may discover that you have a talent for something unusual as well which you do not know about so far. One more thing is that it also an a chance to meet amazing people of similar taste when you join in any club.
6 Is it harmful to spend too much time on a hobby?
Yes, I do agree to some extent. While having a hobby allows people to unwind after stressful days, over-indulgence in anything could do more harm than good. Lots of people spend too much time on playing games or going to parties without realizing that they are wasting precious time. For instance, a student spend long hours to play game will lead to bad academic performance at school. So people should balance between their life and hobby.
7 What free-time activities would you like to try in the future?
I suppose it depends on my mood. If I feel energetic, i’d like to have a crack at exciting sports like football to be more flexible and get into shape. On the other hand, I’d like to take up some instrumental music . I find it very relaxing and interesting to play some piece of music when I feel sad.
Vocabulary For Speaking Part 3
- Involve in: difficult to understand
Eg: She is more involved in sports than studies.
- Idle away the hours: to spend a period of time relaxing and doing very little.
Eg: He has idled away the hours this weekend.
- Great impact on: to have a strong and bad effect on .
Eg: Sita had a great impact on her sister.
- Leisure pursuits: usually activities that you enjoy when you are not working.
Eg: They are having various leisure pursuits after the office hours
- Modification: change or alteration, usually to make something better.
Eg: There are some modifications in the projects of architecture
- Interactive: involving the actions
Eg: Yesterday’s class was quite interactive for students
- Motor skills: learning ability to cause a predetermined movement
Eg: Motor skills help you in various ways.
- Affluent: Having an abundance of goods or riches
Eg: He is the most affluent person in our society.