Improve your Vocabulary for IELTS – Collocation of Impact
Key word: Impact
Verb + Impact (Effect)
Exercise 1. Use the correct form of these verbs:
- Internet shopping is beginning to__________ a serious impact on the traditional bookshops.
- Henman was one of the first British tennis players for years to __________ a real impact on the world of tennis.
- The authorities are doing everything within their power to __________ the environmental impact of the oil spill.
- It will be very difficult to __________ the likely impact of allowing twice as many students to have access to a university education.
- During the 1980s, the industrial north of the country __________ the full impact of the economic recession.
- When the Berlin Wall came down and the former Eastern Bloc countries opened up, the campaign for nuclear disarmament__________ much of its impact.
Common Adjective Collocations
Exercise 2. Choose the more natural collocation from the pair in brackets:
- Lady Chatterley’s Lover is an important book because it has had a __________ impact on public opinion in Britain since it was published. (major / large)
- Some politicians are worried that tougher environmental laws could have a __________ impact on the economy. (poor / detrimental)
- Has the experience of being in prison had a __________ impact on you or have you just put it behind you? (long-term / lasting)
- The recent ban on cigarette advertising has had a(n) __________ impact on the number of teenagers smoking, (recent / immediate)
- Management aren’t worried about the strike. They are convinced that it will only have a __________ impact on business. (tiny / negligible)
- Scientists are discussing ways of reducing the __________ impact of wind farms on the landscape. (visual / visible)
- Going to the theatre for the first time as a small boy made a __________ impact on me. (huge / severe)
- We didn’t know the__________ impact of the disaster at Chernobyl until years after it happened, (complete / full)
Exercise 3. Use the correct form of these verbs:
- The crew__________ the initial impact of the crash, but died in the fire which followed.
- Good running-shoes prevent injury by __________ the impact of the foot striking the ground.
- Containers carrying nuclear waste are designed to __________ an impact with a speeding train without breaking open.
- Many of the dead were in the first coach of the train which __________ the full impact of the crash.
- In 2-1 ‘significant, huge and profound’ are also possible.
- In 1-3 ‘cushion’ is also possible.
Note the following prepositional phrase:
- The bomb exploded on impact – nobody stood a chance.
Note the expression ‘the force of the impact’
- The force of the impact knocked me to the ground.