Ingenious – Word Of The Day For IELTS Speaking & Writing
Ingenious /ɪnˈdʒiːniəs/ (a)
- (of an object, a plan, an idea, etc.) very suitable for a particular purpose and resulting from clever new ideas
- (of a person) having a lot of clever new ideas and good at inventing things
Synonyms: clever, skillful, resourceful | inventive, creative
Antonyms: unoriginal, uninventive, unimaginative, uncreative
- The boy is remarkably ingenious when it comes to math and his tutor has had a hard time giving him more challenging homework.
- It is very ingenious of her to come up with such a highly applicable and effective way to minimize the cost as well as manual labor.
- The local restaurant at the end of Highland street is most recognized by its signature menu and authentic Italian cuisine. Everything is personally prepared and overlooked by its ingenious chef, who also happens to be the owner.
- The movie has won an Academic Award for its ingenious screenplay and an all-star, talented cast.
- “Big Bang Theory” is an ingenious comedy TV series about the life of four highly intelligent, hilarious but socially awkward Even though audience might be a little overwhelmed with some scientific terminologies at the beginning, the show will eventually win you over with many eccentric, yet laugh-out-loud situations.
Remarkably (adv): in a way that is unusual or surprising and causes people to take notice
Challenging (a): difficult in an interesting way that tests your ability
Come up with (phrasal verb): produce (something), especially when pressured or challenged
Applicable (a): that can be said to be true in the case of somebody/something; relevant or appropriate
Manual labor: physical work done by people
Be recognized: to be thought of as very good or important by people in general
Signature (a): a particular quality that makes something different from other similar things and makes it easy to recognize
Authentic (a): made to be exactly the same as the original
Overlook (v): look over, inspect
All-star (a): including many famous actors, players, etc.
Hilarious (a): extremely funny
Socially awkward: feeling uncomfortable in social situations
Terminology (n): the set of technical words or expressions used in a particular subject
Overwhelm (v): to have such a strong emotional effect on somebody that it is difficult for them to resist or know how to react
Win sth/ so over: to succeed in getting someone’s support or agreement, esp. when the person was previously opposed to you
Eccentric (a): considered by other people to be strange or unusual
Latest posts by (see all)
- IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics 2019 (Sep 2019 – April 2020) & Sample Answers - August 20, 2019
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio - May 4, 2019
- Cambridge IELTS Series (1 – 14) for Academic and General Training Modules - April 22, 2019
- All Useful IELTS Writing Lessons & Websites - February 27, 2019
- 101 IELTS Reading Past Papers With Answers - January 23, 2019
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 & 3 Topics (Sep – Dec 2019) with Model Answers - December 25, 2018
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio [Latest Update] - December 21, 2018
- New IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics (Sep – Dec 2019) & Suggested Answers - December 20, 2018
- HIGH SCORING IELTS SPEAKING MODEL ANSWERS WITH AUDIO (BASED ON PAST PAPERS) - October 25, 2018
- IELTS Speaking Actual Tests (Sep – Dec 2019) & Suggested Answers - September 22, 2017
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 Topics in 2019 & Sample Answers - September 11, 2017
- IELTS Writing Task 2 Questions (2013 – 2018) & Model Answers - July 19, 2017
- IELTS Magazine – Week 1 (PDF) - May 20, 2017
- Useful IELTS Reading Websites & Resources for both Academic & General Training Module - April 28, 2017
- IELTS Writing Recent Actual Tests in 2018 & Band 8.0+ Sample Answers (Updating) - February 26, 2017
- IELTS Speaking Lessons - February 21, 2017
- Advanced Vocabulary List for IELTS - January 24, 2017
- 42 Topics for IELTS Speaking Part 1 and Suggested Answers (PDF) - April 14, 2016
- IELTS Target Band 7: How to Maximize Your Score (Ebook) - March 29, 2016
- Ace the IELTS: IELTS General Module – How to Maximize Your Score (3rd edition) - October 10, 2015
- IELTS Part 2 Sample: Describe a time you spent a lot of money on something - September 20, 2019
- Band 8 Sample for IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topic: Photographs - September 20, 2019
- New IELTS Speaking Part 1 with Band 9 Model Answer – Topic: Rubbish/ Garbage - September 13, 2019
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!