Useful transition words for IELTS Speaking & Writing Task 2 – Adversative Transitions
What are transitions and how are they used?
- Transitions can be either phrases or words to help show relationships between ideas in sentences and paragraphs; therefore, they play an important role in IELTS writing. The best part about transition words is that they can be easily inserted in many different places throughout an essay.
- There are 4 types of transitions: Additive transitions, Adversative transitions, Causal transitions, and Sequential transitions.
This article will provide you with a rich variety of useful adversative transitions which show signal conflict, contradiction concession, dismissal, etc.
|but,||by way of contrast,||while,||on the other hand,|
|however,||(and) yet,||whereas,||though (final position).|
|in contrast,||when in fact,||conversely,||still|
Eg: Women suffering from anorexia are still convinced that their thin, frail bodies are fat and unsightly. Conversely, some people who are a great deal heavier than they should be can persuade themselves that they are ‘just right’.
We thought she was arrogant, whereas, in fact, she was just very shy.
IELTS Actual Test Questions (July - October 2022)
4.8 of 5
4.6 of 5
4.8 of 5
4.8 of 5
|even more,||above all,||indeed,||more importantly,||besides|
Eg: I don’t mind at all. Indeed, I would be delighted to help.
|but even so,||nevertheless,||even though,||on the other hand,||admittedly,|
|however,||nonetheless,||despite (this),||notwithstanding (this),||albeit|
|(and) still,||although,||in spite of (this),||regardless (of this),|
|(and) yet,||though,||granted (this),||be that as it may,|
Eg: He finally agreed, albeit reluctantly, to help us.
Notwithstanding some major financial problems, the school has had a successful year.
|either way,||whichever happens,||in either event,||in any case,||at any rate,|
|in either case,||whatever happens,||all the same,||in any event,|
Eg: Whatever happens, don’t let go of my hand
At any rate, I will work my butt off to achieve it!
|(or) at least,||(or) rather,||instead|
Eg: He didn’t reply. Rather, he turned on his heel and left the room.
She said nothing, preferring instead to save her comments till later.
- IELTS Speaking preparation tips
- IELTS Speaking
- IELTS Writing
- IELTS Writing tips
- Linking words for IELTS Speaking
- IELTS Speaking recent actual test
- IELTS Writing recent actual test
- Sports Vocabulary IELTS
- Work Vocabulary IELTS
- Idioms for IELTS Speaking
- IELTS Pronunciation Guide
- Common English words in IELTS Speaking
- Ough words
- IELTS Writing Task 1 Connectors