What are transitions and how are they used?
- Transitions can be either phrases or words to help show relationships between ideas in sentences and paragraphs; therefore, they play an important role in IELTS writing. The best part about transition words is that they can be easily inserted in many different places throughout an essay.
- There are 4 types of transitions: Additive transitions, Adversative transitions, Causal transitions, and Sequential transitions.
This article will provide you with a rich variety of useful adversative transitions which show signal conflict, contradiction concession, dismissal,etc
- Two-Word Prepositions to Score Band 7.0+ in IELTS Writing & Speaking (Part 3)
- Formal Prepositions to score Band 7.0 or Higher in IELTS (Part 2)
- Recent IELTS Writing Test (Task 1 & 2) with Sample Answers
- Academic IELTS Writing Task 2 Topic: Economic Growth with Model Essay
- Advantage/Disadvantage Essay – Topic: Students
by way of contrast,
on the other hand,
though (final position).
when in fact,
Eg: Women suffering from anorexia are still convinced that their thin, frail bodies are fat and unsightly. Conversely, some people who are a great deal heavier than they should be can persuade themselves that they are ‘just right’.
We thought she was arrogant, whereas in fact she was just very shy.
Eg: I don’t mind at all. Indeed, I would be delighted to help.
|but even so,|
on the other hand,
in spite of (this),
regardless (of this),
be that as it may,
Eg: He finally agreed, albeit reluctantly, to help us.
Notwithstanding some major financial problems, the school has had a successful year.
in either event,
in any case,
at any rate,
in either case,
all the same,
in any event,
Eg: Whatever happens, don’t let go of my hand
At any rate, I will work my butt off to achieve it!
|(or) at least,|
Eg: He didn’t reply. Rather, he turned on his heel and left the room.
She said nothing, preferring instead to save her comments till later.
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!
Latest posts by IELTS Material (see all)
- IELTS Writing Task 2 Topic: Art & Technology with Model Essay - May 30, 2018
- 15 IELTS Practice Tests (Book) - May 29, 2018
- IELTS Success Formula For Academic & General Training Module (Book) - May 26, 2018