Key word: apology
1 Verb + apology
Use the correct form of these verbs:
give demand expect
make offer owe
- We weren’t looking for any compensation for the delay, but we did at least __________ an apology.
- Don’t you think you __________ your mother an apology for the way you behaved at Jo’s wedding?
- I’m really sorry we can’t come to dinner on Saturday. Something really serious has come up. Please__________ our apologies to your wife.
- My wife was so angry with the way she had been treated that she marched up to the manager and __________ an apology for the bad service.
- I have an apology to__________ . I’m afraid I think I’ve just broken that pen you lent me.
- What more can I do? I __________ her an apology for my appalling behaviour at the party, but she wouldn’t accept it.
2 Common adjective collocations
Complete the sentences below with the following:
belated full sincere formal
- Please accept our__________ apologies for the error in your flight booking.
- The newspaper was forced to publish a __________ and detailed apology to the pop star for making untrue allegations about his personal life.
- The Minister had to stand up in Parliament and make a__________ apology for his unfortunate remarks on immigration.
- I’m just e-mailing you to apologise for not turning up for last week’s meeting. I was abroad and didn’t hear about it – so __________ apologies.
Now cross out the adjective which does not fit:
- Look, it was a mistake. Please accept my hearty / heartfelt apologies.
- The hospital wrote to me personally with a profound / professional apology for their mistake.
- When a politician makes a mistake, they really ought to make a public / publicised apology.
- Even the most abject / object apology isn’t enough when you are caught stealing from a colleague!
Go back and underline the adjective collocations.
3 Of + apology
Complete the sentences below with the following:
full letter way words
- Following our complaint about our hotel room, we received a formal__________ of apology from the management and a voucher for a free weekend for two!
- As usual Andy was__________ of apologies for what he had done. But I know his apologies mean absolutely nothing!
- He sent me some chocolates by__________ of an apology. He obviously finds it difficult to apologise face to face.
- After I told him I didn’t want to marry him, he muttered a few__________ of apology and left the room. I felt so sorry for him I almost changed my mind!
1. Note the following idiom:
Getting an apology out of my boyfriend is like getting blood from a stone!
2. We send apologies when we can’t come to a meeting. For example:
The headmaster has sent his apologies. He’s had to go to London.
3. Look at this example:
I make no apologies for what I said to her. She deserved every word!
You say this when you feel strongly that you were right to do or say what you did. You feel that no apology is necessary.
- expect 2. owe 3. give 4. demanded 5. make 6. offered
- sincere 2. full 3. formal 4. belated 5. heartfelt 6. profound 7. public 8. abject
- letter 2.full 3. way 4. words
Latest posts by (see all)
- IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics 2019 (Sep 2019 – April 2020) & Sample Answers - August 20, 2019
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio - May 4, 2019
- Cambridge IELTS Series (1 – 14) for Academic and General Training Modules - April 22, 2019
- All Useful IELTS Writing Lessons & Websites - February 27, 2019
- 101 IELTS Reading Past Papers With Answers - January 23, 2019
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 & 3 Topics (Sep – Dec 2019) with Model Answers - December 25, 2018
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio [Latest Update] - December 21, 2018
- New IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics (Sep – Dec 2019) & Suggested Answers - December 20, 2018
- HIGH SCORING IELTS SPEAKING MODEL ANSWERS WITH AUDIO (BASED ON PAST PAPERS) - October 25, 2018
- IELTS Speaking Actual Tests (Sep – Dec 2019) & Suggested Answers - September 22, 2017
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 Topics in 2019 & Sample Answers - September 11, 2017
- IELTS Writing Task 2 Questions (2013 – 2018) & Model Answers - July 19, 2017
- IELTS Magazine – Week 1 (PDF) - May 20, 2017
- Useful IELTS Reading Websites & Resources for both Academic & General Training Module - April 28, 2017
- IELTS Writing Recent Actual Tests in 2018 & Band 8.0+ Sample Answers (Updating) - February 26, 2017
- IELTS Speaking Lessons - February 21, 2017
- Advanced Vocabulary List for IELTS - January 24, 2017
- 42 Topics for IELTS Speaking Part 1 and Suggested Answers (PDF) - April 14, 2016
- IELTS Target Band 7: How to Maximize Your Score (Ebook) - March 29, 2016
- Ace the IELTS: IELTS General Module – How to Maximize Your Score (3rd edition) - October 10, 2015
- IELTS Part 2 Sample: Describe a time you spent a lot of money on something - September 20, 2019
- Band 8 Sample for IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topic: Photographs - September 20, 2019
- New IELTS Speaking Part 1 with Band 9 Model Answer – Topic: Rubbish/ Garbage - September 13, 2019
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!