Vicissitude – Word of the Day for IELTS Speaking & IELTS Writing
Vicissitude – Word of the Day
Vicissitude (noun) /vi´sisi¸tju:d/
A change of circumstances or fortune, typically one that is unwelcome or unpleasant
Synonym: variation, fluctuation, ups & downs, change
Collocation: the vicissitudes of life | the vicissitude of seasons | the vicissitudes of fortune
IELTS Actual Test Questions (February-March 2023)
4.8 of 5
4.6 of 5
4.8 of 5
4.8 of 5
IELTS Speaking :
He had the ability to change with the times and to share the vicissitudes of opinion.
IELTS Writing :
The professional writer has to undergo a wide range of sad vicissitudes.
Choose the appropriate words to fill in the blanks:
fluctuation, vicissitudes, affliction, mishap, misfortune, adversity, suffering, asperities, uncertainties, unpredictability
- Her mother could see the _____________ of her child and took her to the doctor.
- Prosperity tries the fortunate, _______________ the great.
- Do not laugh at the _______________ of others; you never know when it will come knocking at your door.
- The _______________ in the price of the stocks contributes to its risk.
- Due to _______________ in her words and actions, nobody trusted her.
- Though he had many _______________ in life, nothing would stop him from fulfilling his dreams.
- She views her inability to acquire weight as an __________________, despite other people saying that she is lucky to have the condition.
- Although his words were not clear, the hissing voice had a certain _____________about it.
- Losing her parents at such a young age was a _______________ for her, as all her acquaintances rejected her.
- Life is full of ___________ and it makes living more exciting.