IELTS Speaking Vocabulary – 10 Academic Words that will Help you Score IELTS Band 9 (Part 1)
In the IELTS writing test, especially in IELTS Writing task 2, the academic words play an integral role in gaining a high IELTS score. Therefore, I decided to pull out 10 academic words that can help increase the academic tone of your IELTS speaking and writing.
The vocabulary list given below might help you improve your score in the IELTS writing exam, and even help you get a band 9!
- Abstract (adj): based on general ideas or principles rather than specific examples or real events.
=> Human beings are the only creatures capable of abstract thought.
- Aggregate (v): (Usually Passive) to put together different items, amount, etc. into a single group or total.
=> The scores were aggregated with the first round totals to decide the winner.
- Cooperative (adj): willing to cooperate.
=> He was doing his best to be cooperative.
- Discrimination (n): The practice of treating somebody or a particular group in the society less fairly than others.
=> Government figures suggest that ethnic minorities face discrimination looking for jobs.
- Diversity (n): a range of different people, things, or ideas.
=> Cultural diversity is a central feature of modern British society.
- Exceed (v): to be more than a particular number or amount.
=> Working hours must not exceed 42 hours a week.
- Immigrant (n): someone who enters another country to live there permanently.
=> Large numbers of illegal immigrants have found their way into the country.
- Inevitable (adj): Certain to happen and impossible to avoid.
=> A rise in the interest rates seems inevitable.
- Phenomenon (n): something that happens or exists in society, science, or nature, especially something that is studied because it is difficult to understand.
=> The idea that we may be able to live forever is not a new phenomenon.
- Paradox (n): a situation that seems strange because it involves two ideas or qualities that are very different.
=> It’s a paradox that in such a rich country there can be so much poverty.
I hope you found this post informative. If you have any question, please let me know in the comment below or on the Facebook page.
And do not forget to come back to see the next part of this post. Hope all of you have a great day!
Also check :
- IELTS Vocabulary books
- IELTS Grammar
- IELTS Vocabulary
- IELTS Listening words
- Sports Vocabulary IELTS
- English Pronunciation in use Intermediate pdf
- Work Vocabulary IELTS
- Advanced Vocabulary for IELTS