Improve your Vocabulary for IELTS Speaking & Writing – Key Word : Warning
1 Verb + warning
Use the correct form of these verbs :
serve as shout
- Doctors have ___________ a warning against eating shellfish from the polluted beaches.
- Many people continue to ___________warnings about the dangers of sunbathing. They think it’ll never happen to them.
- They can’t complain. They were ___________ adequate warning that the factory was in danger of closing.
- He ___________ a warning as the piece of wood started to fall towards me.
- They failed to ___________ the warnings about the dangerous currents in the river. Both of them drowned.
- After passing sentence, the judge said that the punishment would ___________ a warning to all politicians who thought they were above the law.
2 Common adjective collocations
Use these adjectives in the sentences :
- All cigarette packets must carry a government ___________ warning.
- The referee gave the player a ___________ warning. Next time, he would be sent off.
- I can prepare the food for the party. Just give me ___________ warning of how many people to expect.
- Environmentalists are always issuing ___________ warnings to us about global warming.
prior stern written clear
- By law, employers have to give you a ___________ warning before they can dismiss you.
- Paragliding can be dangerous, so all participants get a ___________ warning of the risks involved.
- The judge sent the driver to prison and issued a ___________ warning about drinking and driving.
- The whole class agrees that we should be given ___________ warning of a test. It’s not fair just to spring it on us without any warning.
3 Expressions with Prepositions
Use the prepositions in the sentences :
to without for of
- The soldiers opened fire ___________ warning.
- Just a word ___________ warning – there are speed cameras about 5 miles outside Bideford.
- That’s what happens when you work too hard. Let it be a warning___________ you!
- Thanks. I would have crashed into the car in front, but ___________ your warning.
1. Note the following:
The warning sign said ‘Caution – Danger of Ice’.
The police fired warning shots above the heads of the crowd, but the protesters took no notice.
2. Note the following:
I was stopped by the police for speeding, but I was let off with a warning.
3. If you ‘heed’ a warning, you pay attention to it:
The company consistently failed to heed warnings about the safety of its equipment
4. An ‘early warning system’ is a defence system that warns of imminent attack.
5. Nowadays we get warnings about: the dangers of smoking / speeding / eating too much etc.
6. Note the expression – as a warning to:
The prisoners were publicly flogged as a warning to others not to try to escape.
Ex 1: 1. issued 2. ignore 3. given 4. shouted 5. heed 6. serve as
Ex 2: 1. health 2. final 3. advance 4. dire 5. written 6. clear 7. stern 8. prior
Ex 3: 1. without 2. of 3. to 4. for
Also check :