10 Useful Expressions You May Have Missed To Get Higher Score In IELTS
Limited-Time Offer : Access a FREE 10-Day IELTS Study Plan!
Ever wonder how to express ordinary actions in an extraordinary way. These are some extremely handy phrases that will help you kick your speech and essay up the notch. Let’s dive in!
- whet someone’s appetite for something: make or increase someone’s interest in something
Ex: “Let’s Eat” – a Korean drama revolving around four lead characters who greatly enjoy their single lives apart from having to dine out alone – has whetted my appetite for Korean cuisine.
- take great pains to do something = be at pains to do something: make great effort to do something
Ex: Susan took great pains to get back into shape after having given birth to her second child.
- sweep someone off his/her feet: make someone suddenly fall in love with you
Ex: John’s heroic action has swept Kim off her feet after he rescued her from a car wreck.
- cast aspersions on someone/ something: make critical or insulting remarks about someone/ something
Ex: There is no good in casting aspersions on people when you don’t know what they have been through.
- shoulder the blame/ burden/ responsibility: take responsibility for something
Ex: You shouldn’t have been the one who shouldered all the blame, Kate played a huge part in it.
- act as a catalyst: cause something important to happen
Ex: The constant wave of disapproval among employees acted as a catalyst for positive changes in the company’s policy regarding minimum salary rate.
- keep/ hold … in check: take control of …
Ex: Paul was losing it after the dead of his dad. He barely held himself in check.
- keep someone in the loop: keep someone informed about something
Ex: We’ll keep you in the loop if there’s any update from the client.
- cut no ice (with someone): not impress or influence someone
Ex: His patronizing attitude cuts no ice with me
- beat around the bush: take too long before saying what you want to say, avoid saying things directly
Ex: You are wasting time. Stopping beating around the bush and tell me what’s wrong.
Also check :