Ever wonder how to express ordinary actions in an extraordinary way. These are some extremely handy phrases that will help you kick your speech and essay up the notch. Let’s dive in!
- whet someone’s appetite for something: make or increase someone’s interest in something
Ex: “Let’s Eat” – a Korean drama revolving around four lead characters who greatly enjoy their single lives apart from having to dine out alone – has whetted my appetite for Korean cuisine.
- IELTS Vocabulary: The News Media (The News, Newspapers and Magazines)
- Academic IELTS Writing Task 2 Topic: Children & Band 8.5 Sample Answer
- Common Idioms to Boost Your IELTS Score – Topic: Effort
- The Most Common Idioms to Boost Your IELTS Score – Topic: Loving and liking
- Common Idioms to Boost Your IELTS Score – Topic: Limitations and restrictions
- take great pains to do something = be at pains to do something: make great effort to do something
Ex: Susan took great pains to get back into shape after having given birth to her second child.
- sweep someone off his/her feet: make someone suddenly fall in love with you
Ex: John’s heroic action has swept Kim off her feet after he rescued her from a car wreck.
- cast aspersions on someone/ something: make critical or insulting remarks about someone/ something
Ex: There is no good in casting aspersions on people when you don’t know what they have been through.
- shoulder the blame/ burden/ responsibility: take responsibility for something
Ex: You shouldn’t have been the one who shouldered all the blame, Kate played a huge part in it.
- act as a catalyst: cause something important to happen
Ex: The constant wave of disapproval among employees acted as a catalyst for positive changes in the company’s policy regarding minimum salary rate.
- keep/ hold … in check: take control of …
Ex: Paul was losing it after the dead of his dad. He barely held himself in check.
- keep someone in the loop: keep someone informed about something
Ex: We’ll keep you in the loop if there’s any update from the client.
- cut no ice (with someone): not impress or influence someone
Ex: His patronizing attitude cuts no ice with me
- beat around the bush: take too long before saying what you want to say, avoid saying things directly
Ex: You are wasting time. Stopping beating around the bush and tell me what’s wrong.
Latest posts by (see all)
- IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics 2019 (Sep 2019 – April 2020) & Sample Answers - August 20, 2019
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio - May 4, 2019
- Cambridge IELTS Series (1 – 14) for Academic and General Training Modules - April 22, 2019
- All Useful IELTS Writing Lessons & Websites - February 27, 2019
- 101 IELTS Reading Past Papers With Answers - January 23, 2019
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 & 3 Topics (Sep – Dec 2019) with Model Answers - December 25, 2018
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio [Latest Update] - December 21, 2018
- New IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics (Sep – Dec 2019) & Suggested Answers - December 20, 2018
- HIGH SCORING IELTS SPEAKING MODEL ANSWERS WITH AUDIO (BASED ON PAST PAPERS) - October 25, 2018
- IELTS Speaking Actual Tests (Sep – Dec 2019) & Suggested Answers - September 22, 2017
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 Topics in 2019 & Sample Answers - September 11, 2017
- IELTS Writing Task 2 Questions (2013 – 2018) & Model Answers - July 19, 2017
- IELTS Magazine – Week 1 (PDF) - May 20, 2017
- Useful IELTS Reading Websites & Resources for both Academic & General Training Module - April 28, 2017
- IELTS Writing Recent Actual Tests in 2018 & Band 8.0+ Sample Answers (Updating) - February 26, 2017
- IELTS Speaking Lessons - February 21, 2017
- Advanced Vocabulary List for IELTS - January 24, 2017
- 42 Topics for IELTS Speaking Part 1 and Suggested Answers (PDF) - April 14, 2016
- IELTS Target Band 7: How to Maximize Your Score (Ebook) - March 29, 2016
- Ace the IELTS: IELTS General Module – How to Maximize Your Score (3rd edition) - October 10, 2015
- IELTS Part 2 Sample: Describe a time you spent a lot of money on something - September 20, 2019
- Band 8 Sample for IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topic: Photographs - September 20, 2019
- New IELTS Speaking Part 1 with Band 9 Model Answer – Topic: Rubbish/ Garbage - September 13, 2019
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!