Academic IELTS Writing Task 2 : Anti-social Behaviour (December, 2015) & Band 9.0 Model Essay
IELTS Writing Actual Test in December, 2015 & Band 9.0 Cause/Solution Essay
There is a general increase in anti-social behaviours and lack of respect for others. What are the causes and solutions?
Band 9.0 Sample :
The widespread problem of anti-social behaviours and disrespectful attitudes towards others has long been a major topic of concern in society. Some of the major culprits of this problem will be discussed before the most important solutions are drawn.
The reasons for this alarming situation vary. In some cases, people may hold an anti-social attitude or disrespect others because they live in an environment where violence and discrimination are the norms. For example, children of sexist parents in rural families in Vietnam, irrespective of their gender, show a worrying tendency of disrespecting women. In some other cases, it is the lack of parental guidance that is to blame. As modern parents are becoming increasingly busy with their jobs, they may have the propensity to be indifferent to children’s education. When there is no one to help young children distinguish between the good and the bad, ill-mannered attitudes may emerge and develop among them without being controlled.
A number of definite actions could be taken to mitigate the problem. On the national level, the first obvious solution is to reduce violence and discrimination. As this would be a massive act, all voters and legislators should be responsible. Together, they could call for stricter enforcement of the laws on violent and discriminatory acts to deter them from happening. In addition, on the nuclear-family level, parents must not underestimate the significance of their guidance for children. If they notice any signs of an anti-social or insolent manner in children, they must provide them with negative evaluations of these signs. At the same time, parents could also educate their children about social manners by instilling a pro-social sense in them. These actions, albeit small, could have a strong influence on children when they mature.
To conclude, it is clear that violence, discrimination, and the indifference of parents to children education are the major catalysts for the increase in anti-social behaviours and disrespect for others. Strong measures, such as stringent law enforcement on violent and discriminatory acts, must be taken to alleviate this distressing situation.
Useful Words/Phrases :
- Disrespect: a lack of respect for somebody/something. ==> disrespect for the law/the dead
- Irrespective of: without considering something or being influenced by it. ==> Everyone is treated equally, irrespective of race.
- Proclivity: a natural tendency to do something or to feel something, often something bad==> the government’s proclivity for spending money
- Indifferent to: having or showing no interest in somebody/something. ==>The government cannot afford to be indifferent to public opinion.
Also check :
- IELTS Writing Task 2
- Tips to write introduction in IELTS Writing Task 2
- Tips to write great writing essay
- IELTS Sample essays
- IELTS Writing task 2 Tips
- Tips to Improve IELTS Writing Skills
- How to get band 8 in IELTS Writing Task 2
- IELTS Writing recent actual test
- Band 9 essays
- Advantage and Disadvantage Essays
- IELTS Writing Answer sheet
- IELTS map vocabulary
- IELTS Writing Task 1 Connectors