ENVIRONMENTAL ISSUES AND THE NATURAL WORLD ( Part 7)
The Potential Consequences of Global Warming
- Advanced Vocabulary for IELTS 7.0 +: ENVIRONMENTAL ISSUES AND THE NATURAL WORLD (Part 8)
- Advanced Vocabulary for IELTS 7.0 +: ENVIRONMENTAL ISSUES AND THE NATURAL WORLD (Part 6)
- Advanced Vocabulary for IELTS 7.0 +: ENVIRONMENTAL ISSUES AND THE NATURAL WORLD (Part 5)
- Advanced Vocabulary for IELTS 7.0 +: ENVIRONMENTAL ISSUES AND THE NATURAL WORLD (Part 4)
- Advanced Vocabulary for IELTS 7.0 +: ENVIRONMENTAL ISSUES AND THE NATURAL WORLD (Part 3)
Use the words from the box to fill in gaps 1 – 8. You will not need to change the form of the words. Use each word once only.
|inhospitable vulnerable refugees displacement inundated cover
deglaciation migration frequency diversity extent erosion
- Already there is some evidence of the _____________ of certain ice sheets in the Arctic. Scientists say that this could get worse. The majority of mountain glaciers throughout the world in both hemispheres are also presently in _____________ .
- Snow _____________ and sea ice _____________are also expected to decline considerably.
- There is expected to be a higher _____________ of extreme weather such as drought, flooding and the formation of intense storm systems.
- Scientists predict that the _____________ of many ecosystems will be reduced and many species will be made extinct. Certain ecosystems such as tundra, mangroves and coral reefs are thought to be particularly _____________.
- Oceanic acidification is predicted to accelerate considerably and this could _____________ entire populations of certain sea creatures at the base of the food chain that rely on carbonate ions to make structures they need to survive.
- There is likely to be more coastal _____________ and coastal flooding on account of rising sea levels, as well as a reduction in the fresh water supply, which could cause severe water shortages.
- Rising sea levels will also cause certain coastal areas to be _____________ and submerged, resulting in further localised population _____________ .
- Crop yield in certain parts of the world which experience significant localised warming will be adversely affected, which could result in mass _____________ and the creation of so-called climate _____________ . Contrariwise, countries lying in more northerly regions could benefit from better annual yields on account of their climates becoming milder and less _____________ .
Doing our bit for the Environment
Select an appropriate verb from the box to fill each gap.
|releasing upgrading enacting separating ensuring prosecuting
providing sponsoring adhering arranging lobbying forming
protecting ensuring fitting investing substituting switching
exploiting subsidising fitting
- ________ elected representatives to get them to pursue an environment-focused agenda
- ________ pressure groups to campaign for the introduction of environmental protection legislation
- ________ our homes are properly insulated and 4. ________ double glazing
- ________ waste into recyclable and non-recyclable items
- ________ to energy-saving light bulbs and 7. ________ household appliances are turned off when not in use
- ________ our cars for bikes or public transport where possible and practical
- ________ to carpool with work colleagues or friends
- ________ solar panels on our roofs
- ________ the public transport system
- ________ renewable sources of energy such as wind and solar power
- ________ the renewable energy industry to make it more competitive on price
- ________ incentives to customers to switch to alternative energy sources
- ________ areas of natural beauty and special environmental significance
- ________ those involved in illegal dumping
- ________ laws to protect endangered species
- ________ in research into alternative forms of energy
- ________ to the terms of the Kyoto Agreement
- ________ international initiatives to protect the environment
- ________ adequate funding to enable the proper policing of environmental protection laws
The Potential Consequences of Global Warming
l deglaciation/retreat 2. cover/extent 3. frequency 4. diversity/vulnerable
5 decimate 6. erosion 7. inundated/displacement 8. migration/refugees/inhospitable
Doing our bit for the environment
1 lobbying 2. forming 3. ensuring 4. fitting 5. separating
6 switching 7. ensuring 8. substituting 9. arranging
10 fitting 11. upgrading 12. exploiting 13. subsidising
14 providing 15. protecting 16. prosecuting 17. enacting
18 investing 19. adhering 20. sponsoring 21. releasing
Latest posts by (see all)
- IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics 2019 (Sep 2019 – April 2020) & Sample Answers - August 20, 2019
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio - May 4, 2019
- Cambridge IELTS Series (1 – 14) for Academic and General Training Modules - April 22, 2019
- All Useful IELTS Writing Lessons & Websites - February 27, 2019
- 101 IELTS Reading Past Papers With Answers - January 23, 2019
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 & 3 Topics (Sep – Dec 2019) with Model Answers - December 25, 2018
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio [Latest Update] - December 21, 2018
- New IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics (Sep – Dec 2019) & Suggested Answers - December 20, 2018
- HIGH SCORING IELTS SPEAKING MODEL ANSWERS WITH AUDIO (BASED ON PAST PAPERS) - October 25, 2018
- IELTS Speaking Actual Tests (Sep – Dec 2019) & Suggested Answers - September 22, 2017
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 Topics in 2019 & Sample Answers - September 11, 2017
- IELTS Writing Task 2 Questions (2013 – 2018) & Model Answers - July 19, 2017
- IELTS Magazine – Week 1 (PDF) - May 20, 2017
- Useful IELTS Reading Websites & Resources for both Academic & General Training Module - April 28, 2017
- IELTS Writing Recent Actual Tests in 2018 & Band 8.0+ Sample Answers (Updating) - February 26, 2017
- IELTS Speaking Lessons - February 21, 2017
- Advanced Vocabulary List for IELTS - January 24, 2017
- 42 Topics for IELTS Speaking Part 1 and Suggested Answers (PDF) - April 14, 2016
- IELTS Target Band 7: How to Maximize Your Score (Ebook) - March 29, 2016
- Ace the IELTS: IELTS General Module – How to Maximize Your Score (3rd edition) - October 10, 2015
- IELTS Part 2 Sample: Describe a time you spent a lot of money on something - September 20, 2019
- Band 8 Sample for IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topic: Photographs - September 20, 2019
- New IELTS Speaking Part 1 with Band 9 Model Answer – Topic: Rubbish/ Garbage - September 13, 2019
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!