ENVIRONMENTAL ISSUES AND THE NATURAL WORLD ( Part 8)
The Natural World
- Advanced Vocabulary for IELTS 7.0 +: ENVIRONMENTAL ISSUES AND THE NATURAL WORLD (Part 7)
- Advanced Vocabulary for IELTS 7.0 +: ENVIRONMENTAL ISSUES AND THE NATURAL WORLD (Part 6)
- Advanced Vocabulary for IELTS 7.0 +: ENVIRONMENTAL ISSUES AND THE NATURAL WORLD (Part 5)
- Advanced Vocabulary for IELTS 7.0 +: ENVIRONMENTAL ISSUES AND THE NATURAL WORLD (Part 4)
- Advanced Vocabulary for IELTS 7.0 +: ENVIRONMENTAL ISSUES AND THE NATURAL WORLD (Part 3)
Use the words from the box below to fill in the gaps in sentences 1 – 26. You will not need to change the form of the words. Use each word once only.
|feral placental conservation predation identity stock
range apex stray alpha resurgent cull
sheds solitary territory breach tropics status
eradication prey insulation heat adverse
indigenous gestation nesting run ban
- The Canadian government’s authorisation of the seal-pup a. ____________ annually is extremely controversial and brings the wrath of conservationists down on it.
- During the annual Alaskan salmon b. ____________ , such is the abundance of spawning fish that the local bear population enjoys a veritable feast. However, overfishing has depleted the c. ____________ of wild salmon considerably.
- The disappearance of sea ice has forced polar bears into swimming increasingly long distances in search of suitable d. ____________ .
- The international e. ____________ imposed on whale hunting is not adhered to by several countries, Including Norway and Japan.
- The increasing popularity of so-called eco-tourism is having a(n) f. ____________ effect on once isolated areas like Galapagos.
- If global warming continues apace, diseases now confined to the g. ____________ , such as malaria, will quite possibly make their way as far north as the United Kingdom.
- Although the population of wolves in Spain is stabilising thanks to h. ____________ efforts, there is still a long way to go before long-term recovery is guaranteed.
- The i. ____________ population of red squirrels in parts of Scotland is a sign that efforts to control the population of greys have been somewhat successful.
- Shark attacks along the Australian coastline are usually a case of mistaken j. ____________ .
- The k. ____________ period of the red deer lasts typically 240 to 262 days.
- Male wildebeest are willing if necessary to fight to the death over a female in l. ____________ .
- Unlike its cousin the lion, the leopard is a m. ____________ beast which will only seek out the company of others of its species during the mating season.
- Watching a whale n. ____________ the surface is a spectacle that is hard to forget.
- The lion is an o. ____________ predator; the only serious threat to it comes from man.
- The p. ____________ male of a band of gorillas will typically have a distinctive area of silver- coloured fur on its back.
- q. ____________ mammals dominate much of the rest of the world in much the same way as marsupials are abundant in Australia.
- Over thousands of years, much of New Zealand’s r. ____________ population of birds evolved to become flightless on account of there being no significant threat of s. ____________ on the ground. Unfortunately, when the possum was introduced from Australia, such species had little or no defence and became easy prey for the foreign invader.
- The population of grey wolves in Yellowstone is thriving and scientists suggest the species no longer needs its protected t. ____________ .
- The u. ____________ of the Polynesian rat from the small offshore islands of New Zealand has seen the indigenous bird population stage a remarkable recovery.
- Conservation efforts are ongoing on the Ionian island of Zakynthos to safeguard the future of the loggerhead sea turtle. Volunteers patrol the beaches that act as its nesting ground throughout the v. ____________ season.
- The Arctic fox w. ____________ its winter coat at the onset of spring.
- Blubber is a very effective form of x. ____________ against the freezing cold temperatures seals often encounter in the ocean.
- The wolves had a huge y. ____________ and travelled more than 50 km per day.
- The pride males regularly marked their z. ____________ to warn off rivals.
- The city has a problem with a1. ____________ dogs and needs to look at neutering the male population to prevent the problem getting worse.
- The b1. ____________ horses that roam the Snowy Mountains of Australia are known as the Brumbies.
The Natural World
Latest posts by (see all)
- IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics 2019 (Sep 2019 – April 2020) & Sample Answers - August 20, 2019
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio - May 4, 2019
- Cambridge IELTS Series (1 – 14) for Academic and General Training Modules - April 22, 2019
- All Useful IELTS Writing Lessons & Websites - February 27, 2019
- 101 IELTS Reading Past Papers With Answers - January 23, 2019
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 & 3 Topics (Sep – Dec 2019) with Model Answers - December 25, 2018
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio [Latest Update] - December 21, 2018
- New IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics (Sep – Dec 2019) & Suggested Answers - December 20, 2018
- HIGH SCORING IELTS SPEAKING MODEL ANSWERS WITH AUDIO (BASED ON PAST PAPERS) - October 25, 2018
- IELTS Speaking Actual Tests (Sep – Dec 2019) & Suggested Answers - September 22, 2017
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 Topics in 2019 & Sample Answers - September 11, 2017
- IELTS Writing Task 2 Questions (2013 – 2018) & Model Answers - July 19, 2017
- IELTS Magazine – Week 1 (PDF) - May 20, 2017
- Useful IELTS Reading Websites & Resources for both Academic & General Training Module - April 28, 2017
- IELTS Writing Recent Actual Tests in 2018 & Band 8.0+ Sample Answers (Updating) - February 26, 2017
- IELTS Speaking Lessons - February 21, 2017
- Advanced Vocabulary List for IELTS - January 24, 2017
- 42 Topics for IELTS Speaking Part 1 and Suggested Answers (PDF) - April 14, 2016
- IELTS Target Band 7: How to Maximize Your Score (Ebook) - March 29, 2016
- Ace the IELTS: IELTS General Module – How to Maximize Your Score (3rd edition) - October 10, 2015
- IELTS Part 2 Sample: Describe a time you spent a lot of money on something - September 20, 2019
- Band 8 Sample for IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topic: Photographs - September 20, 2019
- New IELTS Speaking Part 1 with Band 9 Model Answer – Topic: Rubbish/ Garbage - September 13, 2019
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!