FOOD, TRAVEL AND HOLIDAYS ( Part 3)
(A) Match the words or phrases in Column A with their strongest collocations in Column B.
|Column A||Answer||Column B|
Which of the collocations above:
- is a term used to describe a long break students often take before starting their third-level education?
- is a form of accommodation?
- is a type of hotel-room booking?
Select an appropriate collocation from those you matched above to fill each gap in the following sentences:
- The _______ from the airport to the hotel was considerably less than I had feared it might be; I read horror stories before I got here of how tourists are frequently ripped off.
- My _______ exceeded the weight limit and had to be put in the hold.
- The _______ was changed at the last minute, causing considerable confusion amongst passengers wishing to board the flight.
- I got 1,000 bonus _______ for using my frequent flyer number when booking.
(B) Complete the following sentences by inserting the missing verb. You do not have any clues to help you.
- I don’t normally _________ business class, but I had an operation only last week so comfort is my priority.
- We’ve been _________ on standby for the next available return-flight to Majorca.
- Please _________ via the rear exit of the plane.
- The plane _________ off from the runway without incident despite a strengthening crosswind.
- His application for a visa was _________ down due to an incident which occurred on a previous visit to the country.
- The flight has been _________ by more than three hours on account of the adverse weather conditions.
- It is customary here in America to _________ the bellboy at least 5% of the room-price.
- He remains _________ at Frankfurt airport until such time as the runway .
- Efforts to _________ the runway of lying snow have proved in vain as the clean-up crew have also had to contend with fresh falls.
- The plane was forced to _________ to Jefferson Airport on account of the runway closures at its original terminal destination.
(C) Use the words from the box below to fill In the gaps in sentences 1-12.
|retreat(s) amenity(les) jaunt sabbatical junket
capacity promenade(s) hiatus recuperation keepsake(s)
hectic regatta(s) diversion(s) downtime itinerary
- The hotel we stayed at had a great range of _________, and, as a result, we barely felt the need to venture out all week.
- When we arrived, we were informed that the hotel was full to _________, and that our room was no longer available due to an administrative error that had seen it double-booked.
- A Sunday _________ to the hills is all the holiday I need to feel refreshed and ready to face another week of work.
- The government-sponsored _________ was ostensibly a trade trip but in reality it was a holiday by any other name.
- He purchased a traditional drum as a(n) _________ to remember his trip by.
- They strolled along the _________ hand-in-hand and watched the sun set over the still ocean.
- Our Economics lecturer is on _________ for the next six months, which means we’ll have someone new teaching us this semester.
- The band took a(n) _________ for three months to have a much-needed break from one another.
- He is staying at a(n) _________ up in the mountains for a few weeks; apparently isolating himself from the outside world is just the form of _________ he needs right now to help him recover from his breakdown.
- We changed our _________ somewhat from the original plan and decided to give ourselves some more _________ to relax and do nothing; we realised you were right about our schedule being too _________ and unrealistic.
- This year’s _________ is predicted to be the best-attended for many a year with a crowd of 10,000 expected to turn out to see the boats off.
- For me, holidays are a welcome _________ from the grim realities of working life.
(D) Choose the correct word to fill each gap from the two answer-choices given and change the form/tense if required.
- He had an unfortunate experience on his last trip abroad so opted for a ________ holiday this time. [foreign / domestic]
- Passengers were asked to have their tickets ready for display and ________ the plane by the rear exit only while a technical fault in the front door was being examined by ground crew. [board / disembark]
- His holiday was ________ by two days on account of his having to rush back home in time for the birth of his third grandson. [cut short / postpone]
- His daughter’s injury served to ________ his return to the family home while he stayed behind at the resort to care for her. [delay / hasten]
a. iii b. i c. xi d. viii e. ii f. x
g. ix h. vii i. vi j. iv k. v
1 gap year 2. ski lodge 3. double occupancy 4. cab fare
5. carry-on luggage 6. departure gate 7. air miles
1 fly/travel 2. put 3. disembark/exit 4. took 5. Turned
6. delayed 7. tip 8. stranded/stuck – reopens/clears 9. clear 10. divert
1 amenities 2. capacity 3. jaunt 4. junket 5. keepsake
6. promenade 7. sabbatical 8. hiatus 9. retreat/recuperation
10. itinerary/downtime/hectic 11. regatta 12. diversion
- domestic 2. board 3. cut short 4. delay
Also check :