Advanced Vocabulary for IELTS 7.0 +: MEDICAL AND HEALTH ISSUES – Practice Exercises and Answer Key
MEDICAL AND HEALTH ISSUES (Part 1)
Three of a Kind: Find the missing word.
- Advanced Vocabulary for IELTS 7.0 +: ENVIRONMENTAL ISSUES AND THE NATURAL WORLD (Part 8)
- Advanced Vocabulary for IELTS 7.0 +: ENVIRONMENTAL ISSUES AND THE NATURAL WORLD (Part 7)
- Advanced Vocabulary for IELTS 7.0 +: ENVIRONMENTAL ISSUES AND THE NATURAL WORLD (Part 6)
- Advanced Vocabulary for IELTS 7.0 +: ENVIRONMENTAL ISSUES AND THE NATURAL WORLD (Part 5)
- Advanced Vocabulary for IELTS 7.0 +: ENVIRONMENTAL ISSUES AND THE NATURAL WORLD (Part 4)
For each group of sentences, 1 – 7, there is one suitable word which will fill all the gaps. Find out what it is and write it in the space provided.
(a) He was rushed to the Accident and Emergency room.
(b) There was a medical emergency on my flight to Seoul – luckily a doctor was on hand to help.
(c) I work in the ER, also known as the Emergency Room. It’s not pleasant work, but I do save lives on a daily basis.
(a) The doctors removed a foreign __________ from his skull.
(b) His __________ temperature had fallen dangerously low and he was suffering from hypothermia.
(c) His __________ -fat content was far too high and he was put on a special diet.
(a) The patient had a very low__________ threshold, so the doctor administered a strong local anaesthetic.
(b) He was complaining of a throbbing__________ in his head, and then suddenly collapsed on the floor.
(c) She prescribed the patient some strong __________ relief tablets.
(a) She was diagnosed with a very aggressive form of __________ cancer.
(b) The burn wound required a__________ graft, but seems to have healed quite well since the procedure.
(c) Her __________ came out in an itchy red rash, which doctors blamed on an allergic reaction to the medicine she was taking.
(a) The surgeon was forced to remove the organ entirely from its socket, and replace it with a glass __________ .
(b) The doctor prescribed special __________ drops to counteract the dryness problem.
(c) His black __________ was caused by none other than his six-year-old daughter, who accidentally hit her father in the face with a toy doll she was swinging around in the air as part of some sort of game.
(a) The patient complained of __________ spasm in the neck area. However, the symptom disappeared within a few days.
(b) The extent of the __________ fatigue experienced by the patient was such that he struggled to perform any task requiring even the slightest use of force.
(c) The heart is principally composed of cardiac __________- not the type, mind, that you can build up by going to the gym; this is a special kind found only in the walls of the heart.
(a) The white blood__________ are those which perform the immunising role and protect the body against infections and disease.
(b) Cancerous __________ were basically once normal, but have mutated and begun attacking surrounding __________ and invading the rest of the body.
(c) Examination of the __________ under a microscope revealed that the damage was deeper than previously thought and that the disease was highly invasive.
(a) He fractured the metatarsal__________ in his big toe and was sidelined for six weeks. He only returned to training for the first time with the rest of the team on Saturday.
(b) Multiple myeloma is a cancer of the __________ marrow. This type of cancer is very serious unless caught early.
(c) The suspected break to the__________ proved to only be a bad sprain on further examination.
Medical Abbreviations [Write these common abbreviations out in full.]
|1. ER = Emergency Room
2. A & E
|7. ENT Surgeon (clue: parts of the body)
8. TB (clue: type of disease)
9. PM (clue: ……. Autopsy)
Three of a Kind: Find the missing word
1 body 2. pain 3. skin 4. eye
5 muscle 6. cells 7. bone
- Emergency Room
- Accident and Emergency
- Sexual Transmitted Disease
- Intensive Care Unit
- General Practitioner
- Dead on Arrival
- Ear, Nose and Throat
- Post Mortem (autopsy)
Latest posts by (see all)
- IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics 2019 (Sep 2019 – April 2020) & Sample Answers - August 20, 2019
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio - May 4, 2019
- Cambridge IELTS Series (1 – 14) for Academic and General Training Modules - April 22, 2019
- All Useful IELTS Writing Lessons & Websites - February 27, 2019
- 101 IELTS Reading Past Papers With Answers - January 23, 2019
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 & 3 Topics (Sep – Dec 2019) with Model Answers - December 25, 2018
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio [Latest Update] - December 21, 2018
- New IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics (Sep – Dec 2019) & Suggested Answers - December 20, 2018
- HIGH SCORING IELTS SPEAKING MODEL ANSWERS WITH AUDIO (BASED ON PAST PAPERS) - October 25, 2018
- IELTS Speaking Actual Tests (Sep – Dec 2019) & Suggested Answers - September 22, 2017
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 Topics in 2019 & Sample Answers - September 11, 2017
- IELTS Writing Task 2 Questions (2013 – 2018) & Model Answers - July 19, 2017
- IELTS Magazine – Week 1 (PDF) - May 20, 2017
- Useful IELTS Reading Websites & Resources for both Academic & General Training Module - April 28, 2017
- IELTS Writing Recent Actual Tests in 2018 & Band 8.0+ Sample Answers (Updating) - February 26, 2017
- IELTS Speaking Lessons - February 21, 2017
- Advanced Vocabulary List for IELTS - January 24, 2017
- 42 Topics for IELTS Speaking Part 1 and Suggested Answers (PDF) - April 14, 2016
- IELTS Target Band 7: How to Maximize Your Score (Ebook) - March 29, 2016
- Ace the IELTS: IELTS General Module – How to Maximize Your Score (3rd edition) - October 10, 2015
- IELTS Part 2 Sample: Describe a time you spent a lot of money on something - September 20, 2019
- Band 8 Sample for IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topic: Photographs - September 20, 2019
- New IELTS Speaking Part 1 with Band 9 Model Answer – Topic: Rubbish/ Garbage - September 13, 2019
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!