Medical and Health Issues (Part 4)
Odd One Out
(a) For each of the following, 1-12, identify and circle the odd one out.
- (a) aching (b) bleeding (c) throbbing (d) nagging
- (a) scalpel (b) probe (c) forceps (d) bandage
- (a) break (b) crack (c) fracture (d) wound
- (a) sling (b) splint (c) syringe (d) brace
- (a) stretcher (b) crutch (c) drip (d) wheelchair
- (a) blister (b) fever (c) rash (d) spot
- (a) coherent (b) responsive (c) conscious (d) comatose
- (a) vomit (b) perspiration (c) phlegm (d) pus
- (a) constipation (b) indigestion (c) meningitis (d) diarrhoea
- (a) contagious (b) congenital (c) hereditary (d) genetic
- (a) recuperating (b) terminal (c) lethal (d) fatal
- (a) coroner (b) doner (c) consultant (d) physician
(b) Next, using one word from the options, a – d, for each question, 1-12, above, fill in the gaps in I – XII below. For Question I below, you will find the right answer-option by reviewing a – d in the corresponding question (Question I) above, and so on.
I The patient is____________ profusely from a wound to the lower abdomen. He needs to get to hospital immediately.
II Using his trusty ____________ , the dentist carefully extracted the tooth.
III Although incredibly painful, it proved to be little more than a hairline____________ , which would almost certainly have healed up within two to three weeks by itself.
IV He needed to wear a ____________ to support his back, which had been giving him trouble for some time.
V Why they brought out the ____________ is quite simply beyond me. The striker was back up on his feet in next-to-no-time and scored a goal barely five minutes later.
VI Don’t even think about bursting that____________- what a disgusting thing to do.
VII By midnight and not having had any coffee for five hours, I was virtually____________ but still had more work to do before I could call it a day.
VIII I became more alarmed when I started to cough up blood in my ____________ .
IX Despite ____________ being little more than an inconvenience which requires a few impromptu toilet visits in this part of the world, it remains a serious killer in poorer countries.
X The area was cordoned off in the interest of safety until such time as it was established that the disease was not ____________ .
XI The deceased had ingested a____________ dose of pain killers.
XII You need to register as a ____________ if you want your organs to be made available to those in need upon your death.
Fifty : Fifty
For each question, chose the correct word to fill the gap from the two options given.
- I think you are at the wrong registration desk; this is for those staying in the hospital overnight after surgery for monitoring, but you are an ____________.
outpatient / inpatient
- I have suffered on-and-off with the problem very occasionally for 20 years, but it hasn’t been a(n) ____________ complaint until now – it used to go away in a matter of days.
chronic / acute
- The ___________ is there to support your arm in the horizontal position temporarily until you get it set in plaster.
cast / sling
- The _____________ or ‘fits’ as my doctor terms them are apparently a symptom of the brain tumour and will only get worse as time goes on.
spasms / seizures
- Please tell me the ___________ is good – I’m not ready to die.
prognosis / diagnosis
- The good news is it’s _____________ ; the bad news is its in a part of the body which is inoperable. All they can do, they said, is help me manage the side-effects
malign / benign
- My grandmother has senile___________ , so it’s not like it used to be around her – she barely resembles the person I remember from my childhood.
dementia / amnesia
Odd One Out
1 b 2. d 3. d 4. c 5. c 6. b
7 d 8. b 9. c 10. a 11. a 12. b
I bleeding II. forceps III. fracture IV. brace V. stretcher
VI spot VII. comatose VIII. phlegm IX. diarrhoea
X infectious/contagious XI. lethal XII. doner
Fifty : fifty
1 outpatient 2. chronic 3. sling 4. seizures
5 prognosis 6. benign 7. dementia