POVERTY AND SOCIAL ISSUES ( PART 2)
- Advanced Vocabulary for IELTS 7.0 +: ENVIRONMENTAL ISSUES AND THE NATURAL WORLD (Part 8)
- Advanced Vocabulary for IELTS 7.0 +: ENVIRONMENTAL ISSUES AND THE NATURAL WORLD (Part 7)
- Advanced Vocabulary for IELTS 7.0 +: ENVIRONMENTAL ISSUES AND THE NATURAL WORLD (Part 6)
- Advanced Vocabulary for IELTS 7.0 +: ENVIRONMENTAL ISSUES AND THE NATURAL WORLD (Part 5)
- Advanced Vocabulary for IELTS 7.0 +: ENVIRONMENTAL ISSUES AND THE NATURAL WORLD (Part 4)
(C) Now use the phrases in Column A of (B) above to fill the gaps in the following sentences. You may need to change the form, tense, word order or phrase structure slightly.
- Those _____________ have few if any friends and lack the means, faculties or desire to make a meaningful contribution to the community; they are utterly alone and despondent.
- Few of us however well-intentioned would be prepared to welcome someone in off the streets and into our home for fear they would _____________ if we let our guard down and took our eyes off them for even a moment.
- He was pulled in by the police for _____________, but the reality is that he was simply and innocently passing the time watching the passers-by go about their daily business.
- She was _____________ and her once glamorous life was in pieces; she held little hope of finding a way back to her glory days.
- She was forced to go _____________ to earn enough money to support her abusive husband’s drug addiction.
(D) Match the word in Column A with its strongest collocate from Column B.
|Column A||Answer||Column B|
(E) Now use the answers from (D) above to fill the gaps in the following sentences. Use each collocation once only.
- He has a history of ___________ and I would regard him as a loose canon with the potential to explode again at any given point in time without warning. It is tragic that he has been thrown out onto the streets but his ___________ as both a parent and a father moderate the level of sympathy I have for him somewhat.
- She has severe ___________ from her time under the guardianship of her foster parents, who, it later turned out, were serious dealers in ___________ and psychologically unstable themselves. This girl was let down badly by the system.
- She is lacking ___________ and the absence of a role model and authority figure in her life has made her especially susceptible to suggestion; it is hardly surprising that she had been led astray by the group of troubled youths she fell in with while ___________ .
- ___________ is rife amongst the homeless; you only have to look at the huge queues of people lining up outside the methadone clinic each day to tell you that. You’d seldom observe as big a queue outside the ___________, ironically.
- Those who engage in ___________ must realise that they are endangering the women they pick up and that their money simply lines the pockets of pimps involved in a seedy network of ___________ which stretches across the whole of Europe not to mention shady dealings in the ___________.
- on the margins (of society)
- run amok
- loitering with intent
- on the game
a iii b. i c. xi d. ix e. vi f. v
g x h. vii i. viii j. iv k. ii
- domestic violence/ chequered history
- emotional scars/illicit drugs
- parental guidance/sleeping rough
- Substance abuse/soup kitchen
- kerb crawling/people trafficking/black market
Latest posts by (see all)
- IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics 2019 (Sep 2019 – April 2020) & Sample Answers - August 20, 2019
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio - May 4, 2019
- Cambridge IELTS Series (1 – 14) for Academic and General Training Modules - April 22, 2019
- All Useful IELTS Writing Lessons & Websites - February 27, 2019
- 101 IELTS Reading Past Papers With Answers - January 23, 2019
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 & 3 Topics (Sep – Dec 2019) with Model Answers - December 25, 2018
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio [Latest Update] - December 21, 2018
- New IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics (Sep – Dec 2019) & Suggested Answers - December 20, 2018
- HIGH SCORING IELTS SPEAKING MODEL ANSWERS WITH AUDIO (BASED ON PAST PAPERS) - October 25, 2018
- IELTS Speaking Actual Tests (Sep – Dec 2019) & Suggested Answers - September 22, 2017
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 Topics in 2019 & Sample Answers - September 11, 2017
- IELTS Writing Task 2 Questions (2013 – 2018) & Model Answers - July 19, 2017
- IELTS Magazine – Week 1 (PDF) - May 20, 2017
- Useful IELTS Reading Websites & Resources for both Academic & General Training Module - April 28, 2017
- IELTS Writing Recent Actual Tests in 2018 & Band 8.0+ Sample Answers (Updating) - February 26, 2017
- IELTS Speaking Lessons - February 21, 2017
- Advanced Vocabulary List for IELTS - January 24, 2017
- 42 Topics for IELTS Speaking Part 1 and Suggested Answers (PDF) - April 14, 2016
- IELTS Target Band 7: How to Maximize Your Score (Ebook) - March 29, 2016
- Ace the IELTS: IELTS General Module – How to Maximize Your Score (3rd edition) - October 10, 2015
- IELTS Part 2 Sample: Describe a time you spent a lot of money on something - September 20, 2019
- Band 8 Sample for IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topic: Photographs - September 20, 2019
- New IELTS Speaking Part 1 with Band 9 Model Answer – Topic: Rubbish/ Garbage - September 13, 2019
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!