THE ENTERTAINMENT INDUSTRY AND THE MASS MEDIA ( Part 4)
The Music Industry
(a) Match verbs 1-14 with the phrase-endings i-xiv to complete the collocations.
|i. the roof off
ii. a stadium
iii. out an arena tour
iv. the lyrics
v. the charts
vi. a signing at a music store
vii. a tour date
viii. the house down
ix. a rousing rendition
x. with a fellow artist
xi. the American market
xii. to a record label
xiii. an original song
(b) Now use verbs 1-14 above to complete the sentences which follow. You may have to change the tense or form. Use each word once only.
- He ___________ a record deal reputed to be worth £ 10 million.
- The ___________ art was designed by his wife, who is a well-known and moderately successful artist in her own right.
- The audience felt short-changed when she ___________ her latest release; they had come to see her perform live.
- She ___________ the performance of a lifetime at the Grammy Awards ceremony.
- He started out ___________ gigs in his local pub, but after being spotted by a talent scout he was approached by one of the largest record labels in the country.
- He ___________ under the pressure of constant media attention; he just wasn’t meant for life in the limelight.
- She ___________ with several artists on her latest album, but this has failed to impress the critics who have been scathing in their reviews.
- His song ‘Sally-Anne’ is still ___________ in a lot of revenue from royalties some twenty-three years after it was first released.
- Demand for her latest album is not going to match that which there was for ‘Ondine’, her debut offering – at least, that’s assuming the first-week ___________ figures are anything to go by.
- He has ___________ playing the guitar to his impressive repertoire of musical talents.
- It had been hoped that her debut single would reach the ___________ spot, but she should be pleased with position two in the charts at any rate.
- The troubled musician received a ___________ on learning of her song’s reentry into the charts.
- Her new-found popularity insured that she was able to ___________ the 20,000-seat venue to capacity.
- He ___________ on to record a further nine albums in what can only be described as a stellar career.
(c) Select a word from the box to fill each gap in the extract. Use each word once only. You will not have to change the form of the word.
|supporting demo key flat range
tune playlist ballads posthumous
- She received a ______________ award for her contribution to music. Her son accepted it on behalf of his mother, who, though now deceased, will surely live on in our memory for a very long time to come.
- He is ______________ Mexirod on their tour of Canada this autumn.
- If you think you have what it takes, send me in your ______________ tape and I promise I will have a listen.
- The band became known for its trademark power ______________ .
- The D.J. invited listeners to call in with their suggestions for the ______________ .
- The judge on the talent show accused the band of singing out of ______________ and murdering the lyrics of a perfectly good song.
- He had a lovely tone in his singing voice but his______________ was very limited and he simply could not reach the high notes.
- You were not singing in ______________ ; in fact, your voice sounded quite ______________. I’m afraid we will not be putting you through to the next round on this occasion, but thank you for auditioning.
(d) Match 1- 8 with the strongest collocations from i – viii.
(e) Now use the completed phrases from (d) to fill in the blanks below. Use each phrase once only.
- They were a top draw for this pub for many years, so it seemed a no-brainer to make them the official ____________ .
- The ____________ was, in my opinion, actually more entertaining than the headline band.
- These guys are great; I can’t wait until their first ____________ is released next weekend.
- What they play is more ____________ than mainstream pop. Even so, they’ve built up a large fan base.
- He’s the king of ____________ ; I can’t think of any artist I’d chose over him if I just want to put my feet up and unwind.
- The ____________ has got us an extra gig on Sunday on account of how well the last one went down.
- As ____________ s go, she’s right up there with the best of them; she makes sure everything runs smoothly but you’d hardly even know she was there from beginning to end of tour.
- They’ve somehow bagged a million-dollar ____________ with Sony, despite the fact that they have yet to even have a top-ten hit.
The music industry
1 xii 2. xiii 3. vi 4. v 5. xiv 6. iii 7. ii
8 i 9. viii 10. x 11. vii 12. xi 13. ix 14. iv
1 signed 2. cover 3. mimed 4. gave 5. doing
6 cracked 7. collaborated 8. bringing 9. sales
10 added 11. top 12. lift 13. fill 14. went
1 posthumous 2. supporting 3. demo 4. ballads
5 playlist 6. key/tune 7. range 8. key/ tune-flat
1 vii 2. iv 3. i 4. viii
5 vi 6. iii 7. v 8. ii
1 house band 2. supporting act 3. studio album 4. indie music
5 easy listening 6. booking agent 7. road manager 8. recording contract
Also check :