Describe a skill you need long time to learn
You should say:
- Band 9 Sample with Audio: Activity you would do when you are alone in your free time
- Band 9 Part 2 & 3 Sample with Audio – Topic: Describe a film or TV show that made you laugh a lot
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 Sample in 2019 – Topic: Describe something you do to help you study or work
- IELTS Speaking Test in the US – July 2018 & Model Answers with Audio
- Recent IELTS Speaking Exam in Australia – May 2018 & Model Answers
- What it is
- Where you can learn it
- How to learn it
- And explain why you need long time to learn it
I would like to talk about learning a language, which definitely requires a lot of time and patience. I think many people go into learning a language expecting to speak fluently after a few short months which can lead them to disappointment. I think to truly be fluent in a language, you need at least 3 years, preferably living and immersing yourself in that country. Language starts with the grammar and sentence structure, then being able to listen and respond, then onto reading and writing which is a whole different ball game (a different challenge). Even those who can communicate effectively would still struggle to read a novel or literature in that language.
You can begin to learn a language in various ways. For one, you can learn it in school and a language center, which is a good base for grammar especially. Secondly, you can study it on your own, maybe even by watching youtube videos, series/ movies, listening to music, etc. which is becoming more of a trend nowadays due to the high costs of studying at a language center. Moreover, you can learn it by starting a relationship with someone and figuring out a way to communicate after some time – I think it usually happens fast when you catch feelings (to start feeling emotions for someone) for someone who doesn’t speak the same language! Lastly, you can move to that country and pick it up there. I would say this is the best way, although many don’t have this opportunity.
I think language learning is a tedious (long, detailed) process because it involves many different skills, such as memorization, pronunciation, grammar, etc., and requires you to think outside of the box, which doesn’t come easily for some. Moreover, I think it takes your brain a long time to accept another language when you’ve spent your whole life making memories in one. All in all, it is no easy task.
Latest posts by IELTS Material (see all)
- IELTS Speaking Part 1 Band 9 Model Answers with Audio – Topic: Shoes - May 21, 2019
- Band 9 Sample for Common IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topic: Travel - May 20, 2019
- Band 9 Sample for Common IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topic: Work - May 17, 2019
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!