Build up Your Vocabulary for IELTS-Key Word:Safety
- Use the correct form of these verbs:
- Army officers told the journalists it was such a dangerous area that they could not______their safety.
- The refugees walked for nearly a week until they______safety.
- Railway companies have dismissed fears that staff cuts will______safety. They say they are not putting profit before people’s lives.
- These new measures are designed to______safety in our schools.
Expressions with Prepositions
2. Complete the sentences with these expressions:
|for the safety of||from the safety of||for your own safety|
|in safety||to safety|
- In the crowded streets of the city centre it is difficult to find a place where children can play______.
- The boat sank about a hundred metres from the shore, but we all managed to swim______.
- The police are concerned______a three-year-old boy who has been missing for two days.
- In the safari park you can watch the lions______your car.
- Smoking and the use of mobile phones are not permitted on board this plane______.
3. Complete the sentences below with these nouns:
- Farmers need to take safety______and wear protective clothing when spraying pesticides onto their crops.
- The area in the park near where the children play has been fenced off for safety______.
- This hall does not conform to safety______. That’s why we can’t let the public use it.
- Very stringent safety checks are carried out on all our planes. That’s why this airline has such an excellent safety______.
- Our engineers have incorporated all the latest safety______into the design of this car.
- As the plane prepared for take-off, the cabin crew demonstrated the safety______.
4. Cross out the wrong preposition in these sentences:
- There is growing concern about/on the safety of mobile phones.
- German cars have a reputation on/for safety and reliability.
- In the interests of/in safety, smoking is forbidden in the cinema.
- This latest accident has raised doubts in/about the safety of the aircraft.
- The firemen led the women out of the burning building to a place of/in safety.
- With no thought to/of her own safety, she dived into the river to save the drowning child.
1. Note this expression:
2. Note these adjective collocations:
3. Note this expression:
4. Note the following noun collocations:
5. By law, companies have to have a ‘Health and Safety’ expert, who is responsible for all matters relating to the safety of employees.
- in safety
- to safety
- for the safety of
- from the safety of
- for your own safety
- concern about
- reputation for
- interests of
- doubts about
- place of
- thought of
Also check :