Build up Your Vocabulary for IELTS-Key Word:System
Limited-Time Offer : Access a FREE 10-Day IELTS Study Plan!
- Use the correct form of these verbs:
- The government have proposed a whole raft of measures to______the health service.
- Can you explain how the security system______? => Ask Jack. He knows the system inside out.
- When we______the new booking system, no one believed it would work.
- We need to______some sort of system whereby staff can meet regularly with each other.
- The country’s legal system is______the British system.
- The recently-installed computerised system keeps crashing and the telephone system has also______. We can’t talk to anybody!
Common Adjective Collocations
2. Use the adjectives to complete the sentences:
- Germany has an______rail system, making it easy to travel around the country. It is the envy of many other countries.
- The whole system is______every official you deal with demands money before helping you.
- We’ve called in consultants to identify what is wrong with our______management system.
- The new system is quite______, I’m afraid. It takes quite a bit of getting used to.
- Why does it take three men to do the job that one could do? What a hopelessly______system!
- We still operate an______filing system with paper files and filing cabinets. What we need is a modern, state-of-the-art computer system.
- Something must be done to help poorer children get to university. Our system is very______.
- The museum is protected by a very______system of burglar and fire alarms. It contains priceless treasures from Ancient Greece.
Go back and underline all the other useful collocations in this exercise.
3. Complete the sentences with the following:
- The government report on salaries exposes the______of the current system of wages – with women still being paid less than men for the same job.
- She was at great pains to stress the______of the new system over the old one.
- There are calls for a radical______of the tax system. =>Yes. Changes to the system are long overdue.
- You need a password to gain______to the computer system.
2. System collocates with lots of nouns:
3. If you talk about your ‘sound system’, you mean your home stereo system.
4. If you use a computer, you will be used to ‘installing, booting up, and re-booting the system’ and using ‘system software’.
5. If you talk about ‘the system’, you mean all the rules and laws of the country:
- modelled on
- broken down
Also check :