1 Verb + system
Use the correct form of these verbs:
devise break down
introduce model on
- The government have proposed a whole raft of measures to ____________ the health service.
- Can you explain how the security system ____________ ? => Ask Jack. He knows the system inside out.
- When we ____________ the new booking system, no one believed it would work.
- We need to ____________ some sort of system whereby staff can meet regularly with each other.
- The country’s legal system is ____________ the British system.
- The recently-installed computerised system keeps crashing and the telephone system has also ____________ . We can’t talk to anybody!
2 Common adjective collocations
Use the adjectives to complete the sentences:
complicated corrupt excellent current
- Germany has an____________ rail system, making it easy to travel around the country. It is the envy of many other countries.
- The whole system is____________ – every official you deal with demands money before helping you.
- We’ve called in consultants to identify what is wrong with our____________ management system.
- The new system is quite ____________ , I’m afraid. It takes quite a bit of getting used to.
sophisticated outdated unfair inefficient
- Why does it take three men to do the job that one could do? What a hopelessly ____________ system!
- We still operate an ____________ filing system with paper files and filing cabinets. What we need is a modern, state-of-the-art computer system.
- Something must be done to help poorer children get to university. Our system is very ____________ .
- The museum is protected by a very ____________ system of burglar and fire alarms. It contains priceless treasures from Ancient Greece.
Go back and underline all the other useful collocations in this exercise.
3 Noun + preposition + system
Complete the sentences with the following:
access advantages injustices overhaul
- The government report on salaries exposes the ____________ of the current system of wages – with women still being paid less than men for the same job.
- She was at great pains to stress the ____________ of the new system over the old one.
- There are calls for a radical ____________ of the tax system. =>Yes. Changes to the system are long overdue.
- You need a password to gain ____________ to the computer system.
1. Note the following useful expression:
Under the new system, student grants have been scrapped and replaced by loans.
Pregnant women are exempt from dental charges under the current health system.
2. System collocates with lots of nouns:
3. If you talk about your ‘sound system’, you mean your home stereo system.
4. If you use a computer, you will be used to ‘installing, booting up, and re-booting the system’ and using ‘system software’.
5. If you talk about ‘the system’, you mean all the rules and laws of the country:
You can’t beat the system!
Ex 1: 1. reform 2. works 3. introduced 4. devise 5. modelled on 6. broken down
1 excellent 2. corrupt 3. current 4. complicated
5 inefficient 6. outdated 7. unfair 8. sophisticated
Ex 3: 1. injustices 2. advantages 3. overhaul 4. access
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!
Latest posts by IELTS Editor (see all)
- Improve Your Vocabulary in IELTS Speaking & Writing – Key Word: Thing - April 1, 2018
- Boost Your Lexical Resource – Key Word: Rule - March 26, 2018
- Using Collocation to Boost Your IELTS Score – Key Word: promise - November 20, 2017