1 Number + of + noun
Use these nouns in the sentences below:
advantages factors changes occasions
problems reasons times ways
- Yes, I know George Robertson. We’ve met on a number of _______________ .
- I decided not to go to the party for a number of ____________ that I’d rather not talk about.
- A significant number of____________ have taken place since I was at Oxford.
- Stop worrying. You can only be infected with HIV in a limited number of __________ and shaking someone’s hand isn’t one of them!
- There are a number of____________ that could account for the differences between the scores.
- A number of unforeseen____________ have arisen and we’ve had to postpone the concert.
- I’ve lost track of the number of____________ Tony has asked me to lend him money.
- Studying English in Britain has a number of distinct____________ . You can’t escape it! It’s everywhere!
2 Adjective + number of + noun
Use these adjective / noun pairs in the sentences:
|appalling / casualties
total / votes
huge / convictions
high / accidents
|alarming / complaints
increasing / cases
limited / places
record / replies
- The __________ number of__________ in the First World War was due partly to incompetent officers.
- The advertisement we placed in last week’s paper has attracted a __________ number of ________ .
- The tour company is investigating the __________ number of__________ made against one of its hotels.
- There’s been an__________ number of__________ of measles among young children.
- He’s a known criminal. He has a __________ number of previous __________ for theft.
- This latest result brings the__________ number of __________ for the Socialists to over twenty million.
- We have a__________ number of free__________ on the course.
- There’s a very __________ number of __________ at this junction.
3 Verb collocations
Use the correct form of these verbs:
- More and more young people are going on to higher education. The number has __________ tenfold over the past decade. (reached / risen)
- The government has launched a new road safety campaign in an attempt to__________ the number of deaths on the road. (cut / chop)
- The hospital__________ the number of visitors a patient can have. Only two people are allowed in at one time. (reduced / put down)
- The number of visitors to Stonehenge could soon __________ saturation point. The authorities will have to start turning people away. (reach / come to)
- The number of people out of work in the town has __________ from 5000 last year to 3500. (reduced / fallen)
4 Common adjective collocations
Complete the sentences below with the following:
disproportionate huge wrong
maximum unlucky exact
- A lot of people believe that thirteen is an__________ number.
- _________ numbers of cattle have had to be slaughtered following the outbreak of foot and mouth disease.
- The__________ number of people killed in the train crash is not yet known.
- Sorry, I must have dialled the__________ number.
- There’s a__________ number of men compared to women in the government. Something must be done to redress the balance.
- There were over twenty people in the lift – five more than the__________ number allowed.
1. Note the following expressions:
a sharp increase in the number of women who smoke
a dramatic decrease in the number of cats in the area
Teachers are leaving in increasing numbers.
Complaints were surprisingly few in number.
2. ‘Odd numbers’ are 1,3, 5, 7 etc and ‘even numbers’ are 2,4, 6, 8 etc.
- occasions 2. reasons 3. changes 4. ways 5. factors 6. problems 7. times 8. advantages
- appalling / casualties
- record / replies
- alarming / complaints
- increasing / cases
- huge / convictions
- total / votes
- limited / places
- high / accidents
- risen 2. cut 3. has reduced 4. reach 5.fallen
- unlucky 2. Huge 3. exact 4. wrong 5. disproportionate 6. maximum
Latest posts by IELTS Editor (see all)
- All Useful IELTS Writing Lessons & Websites - February 27, 2019
- Improve Your Vocabulary in IELTS Speaking & Writing – Key Word: Thing - April 1, 2018
- Boost Your Lexical Resource – Key Word: Rule - March 26, 2018
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!