Expand Your Vocabulary for IELTS-Key Word:Work
Limited-Time Offer : Access a FREE 10-Day IELTS Study Plan!
- Use the correct form of these verbs:
- I’d______work if I could afford to.
- I’m still looking for a job. It’s so difficult to______work in the present economic climate.
- There’s plenty of work to be______in the garden at this time of year.
- I just couldn’t______work yesterday, so I took the day off.
- Payment will be withheld until the work is______to my satisfaction.
- As a salesman my work______a lot of driving.
- Make sure you______your work before handing it in. Silly mistakes can lose marks.
- These new regulations have______a lot of extra work for me.
Now use these phrasal verbs in the sentences:
|put…into||get off||get down|
|get on with||go into||go out|
- Stop talking and______your work. I want this finished by the end of the lesson.
- After the baby’s born, I won’t have to______to work any more – at least not for a few years.
- Can you try to ___________ work early tomorrow so that we can visit Sue in hospital?
- He’s ___________ a lot of work______improving his maths. He studies for hours most nights.
- A tremendous amount of work has______the preparations for the wedding.
- I’ve been avoiding______to work all day. I just feel so tired and lifeless at the moment.
Common Adjective Collocations
2. Use these adjectives in the sentence:
- There is no doubt that teaching is______work, but it can be very fulfilling.
- Washing dishes all day is pretty______work.
- I’m afraid we can’t take on any______work at the moment. We’re already working to capacity.
- Furniture-making is very______work and involves years and years of training.
- Digging the garden is______work. It’s so physically demanding. => Then, why not get your son to do it for you!
- After a______work, it’s nice to get home and put your feet up.
3. Use these nouns to complete the sentences:
|backlog of||piles of||pressure of|
|standard of||rewards of||search of|
- Many young people travel to the large cities in______work.
- Sorry, I can’t come to the meeting this evening. I’ve got______work to do for tomorrow.
- It was good to see her reaping the______all her hard work.
- The______his written work is extremely high. His speaking is less good.
- The only way to clear this huge______work is to take on more part-time staff.
- The______work is beginning to get to him. Unless he cuts down the time he’s at the office, his health will suffer.
2. If you are out of work, you are unemployed. If you are in work, you have a job.
3. We talk about part-time/full-time/casual/freelance/voluntary work.
4. If you have too much work, you are up to your ears in work.
5. Note the proverb: Many hands make light work!
6. If you have a particularly difficult task to do, you ‘have your work cut out!’
- give up
- get on with
- go out
- get off
- put a lot of work into
- gone into
- getting down
Common Adjective Collocations
- hard day’s
- search of
- piles of
- rewards of
- standard of
- backlog of
- pressure of
Also check :