Extend Your Vocabulary to Ace the IELTS – Key Word: Movement
1 Verb + movement (act of moving)
Use the correct form of these verbs:
- Long skirts tend to ___________ movement, so I usually wear trousers to work. They give you greater freedom of movement.
- As the disease progresses, the patient loses the ability to___________ his movements and needs help with the simplest of tasks.
- The alarm goes off the second these infra-red sensors___________ the slightest movement.
- Detectives are trying to___________ the young girl’s movements on the night she disappeared.
- An important job of the security forces is to___________ the movements of suspected terrorists.
- The law will be changed to___________ free movement of goods within Europe.
2 Adjective + movement
Choose the more natural collocation:
- Audiences were always spellbound by Nureyev’s ___________ arm movements. (beautiful / graceful)
- The___________ movement of troops into the area brought a quick end to the days of rioting. (rapid / fast)
- During the Second World War, we couldn’t travel around the country. Our movements were very ___________. (restricted / constrained)
- Our burglar alarm is activated by the ___________ movement in the house. (smallest / slightest)
- Don’t make any ___________ movement or you’ll frighten the bird and it’ll fly away. (rapid / sudden)
3 Verb + movement (group with a purpose)
Use the correct form of these verbs:
ban be involved with campaign
join sympathise with weaken
- My brother___________ heavily___________ the animal rights movement and its campaign to stop animals being used in experiments.
- Outraged by the inequalities between men and women in society Mrs Pankhurst ___________ the movement for equal rights.
- Over the last thirty years the trade union movement in the UK has been ___________by anti-union legislation.
- Although I___________ the nationalist movement, I don’t approve of the use of violence.
- When the peace movement began to gather strength, the military government saw it as a threat and took immediate steps to___________ it.
- The Green movement is___________ for better recycling facilities in every town in the country.
4 Movement + preposition
Complete the sentences using these prepositions:
against away from for
of in towards
- The police caught the last-known movements___________ the terrorists on camera.
- There’s not been much movement ___________ crude oil prices for a number of years.
- Since the death of Princess Diana, there seems to be a movement___________ greater informality among members of the Royal Family.
- There has been a mass movement___________ government. The people hope to force the President out of office.
- Recently, there has been some movement ___________progressive methods of teaching and a return to more traditional ways.
- There have been several movements ___________ reform of the voting system over the last century, but little real change has taken place.
1. Note this expression:
The police have had the house under surveillance, but there have been no signs of movement for days.
2. Other movements are:
The Arts and Crafts Movement, the Civil Rights Movement, the Anti-War Movement, the Ecumenical Movement, the Pro-Life Movement, etc.
3. Other kinds of movement are:
the slow movement of his 5th Symphony troop movements
1. restrict 2. co-ordinate 3. detect 4. retrace 5. monitor 6. allow
1. graceful 2. rapid 3. restricted 4. slightest 5. sudden
1 is heavily involved with 2. joined 3. weakened
4 sympathise with 5. ban 6. campaigning
- of 2. in 3. towards 4. against 5. away from 6. for
Also check :
- IELTS Vocabulary books
- IELTS Grammar
- IELTS Vocabulary
- IELTS Listening words
- Sports Vocabulary IELTS
- English Pronunciation in use Intermediate pdf
- Work Vocabulary IELTS
- Advanced Vocabulary for IELTS