Describe something you bought but you do not often use – IELTS Band 8 Sample
Describe an item you bought but don’t often use./Describe something you bought but don’t use very often.
You should say:
- what it is
- when and where you bought it
- why you bought it
- and explain why you don’t use it often.
I’m going to talk about an iPad that I bought a few years back.
In my third year at university, I received a grant amount for good academic performance, which was worth about 700 dollars. I had been curious about the iPad, because I had never had a chance to use one. So I decided, quite impulsively, that I would buy one.
I imagined there would be so many things that I could do with this device, like writing homework, reading books, chatting with friends and playing games. But later I found out that it wasn’t as convenient as I thought. Though already quite small in size, it is still too heavy to carry for a long time. And it can’t replace a computer as it doesn’t have a real keyboard.
Once the novelty wore off, I just left my iPad sitting around. In hindsight, that 700 dollars should have been spent on a course or something like that!
- Grant: agree to give or allow (something requested) to.
Eg: He was granted permission to take leave
- Curious: interested in learning about people or things around you
Eg: Rose was curious about her results.
- Impulsively: without forethought; on impulse; suddenly.
Eg: Rose impulsively decided to buy the diamond necklace.
- Found out: discover something or come to know about something.
Eg: The treasure box hidden in the backyard was found out .
- Novelty: the quality of being new, original, or unusual
Eg: The tourists are still a novelty on this remote island
- In hindsight: the ability to understand an event or situation only after it has happened
Eg: In hindsight, I should have taken the job offer.
Also check :