IELTS Cue Card for IELTS Speaking Part 2:
Describe a recent event (or something you did) that made you happy.
You should say:
what you did
where you were
who you were with
and explain why it made you happy.
- IELTS Cue Card Sample 52 – Topic: A Special Toy
- IELTS Cue Card Sample 50 – Topic: A Meal You Had With Your Friends
- IELTS Cue Card Sample 48 – Topic: A Goal that You Have
- IELTS Cue Card Sample 46 – Topic: local news people interested in
- IELTS Cue Card Sample 44 – Topic: A TV Program that Made You Laugh
BAND 9.0 SAMPLE ANSWER:
Today, I am going to share with you a recent event that made me happy. A month ago, my friend and I attended a hip-hop and contemporary dance performance sponsored by the Japan Foundation Center, Goethe Institute, and L‟Espace Center called “Europe Meets Asia”.
The tickets were free so we did not see any reason for not going; we both like dancing a lot. The performance was given by artists from Japan and Israel. It was a combination of hip-hop and contemporary dance.
With their talents, they created such an amazing performance. We were surprised to see how flexible they were while performing. The dance also delivered a message which could be interpreted differently by different people. To me, it was about young people in the modern world, bored with the daily routine of life and trying to escape from this boredom in order to do something spectacular or at least pursue their passions.
After a 40-hour workweek, this event was like a fresh breeze in my life. It was a new experience that I had rarely had before, because in Hanoi, we don‟t get to see art performances by foreign artists that often.
hip-hop: a style of music usually based on rap and often including elements of other styles such as funk or rhythm and blues. Example: My best friend is an awesome hip-hop artist who performs all around the world.
contemporary: current, modern, nowadays. Example: As an art collector, he focuses on contemporary artists from Asia and Europe.
sponsored by: an individual or organization that puts something on, that supports an event financially. Example: This evening‟s event was sponsored by Apple, Microsoft and Dell computers.
given by: in this context the artists give a performance or perform and so we say it was given by them. Example: The keynote presentation was given by Mark Zuckerberg, speaking Chinese.
combination of: when two or more things are combined to create something new. Example: The combination of science and art classes helps students learn in a creative way.
talent: a special skill that one has. Example: He has a talent for making movies and will likely become a director some day.
flexible: to be able to bend your body in all sorts of ways. Example: Ballet dancers and yoga instructors are very flexible.
interpret: to understand something in a certain way. Example: The two people interpreted the performance in two completely different ways.
daily routine: that which you do every day, like get up, eat breakfast, go to work, come home, clean up, watch TV, go to bed. Example: His daily routine starts at 5 a.m. and ends at 10 p.m.
spectacular: amazing, fantastic, super special. Example: His new book is spectacular. Have you read it yet?
pursue their passions: to follow your interests and desires. Example: He wants to pursue his passion for chemistry by getting a PhD.
fresh breeze: used in this context to describe something that is new and refreshing. Example: Spending a day out in the woods was like a fresh breeze, compared to my usual boring daily routine.
rarely: not very often.
Example: I rarely go downtown due to the traffic.
Latest posts by (see all)
- IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics 2019 (Sep 2019 – April 2020) & Sample Answers - August 20, 2019
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio - May 4, 2019
- Cambridge IELTS Series (1 – 14) for Academic and General Training Modules - April 22, 2019
- All Useful IELTS Writing Lessons & Websites - February 27, 2019
- 101 IELTS Reading Past Papers With Answers - January 23, 2019
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 & 3 Topics (Sep – Dec 2019) with Model Answers - December 25, 2018
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio [Latest Update] - December 21, 2018
- New IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics (Sep – Dec 2019) & Suggested Answers - December 20, 2018
- HIGH SCORING IELTS SPEAKING MODEL ANSWERS WITH AUDIO (BASED ON PAST PAPERS) - October 25, 2018
- IELTS Speaking Actual Tests (Sep – Dec 2019) & Suggested Answers - September 22, 2017
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 Topics in 2019 & Sample Answers - September 11, 2017
- IELTS Writing Task 2 Questions (2013 – 2018) & Model Answers - July 19, 2017
- IELTS Magazine – Week 1 (PDF) - May 20, 2017
- Useful IELTS Reading Websites & Resources for both Academic & General Training Module - April 28, 2017
- IELTS Writing Recent Actual Tests in 2018 & Band 8.0+ Sample Answers (Updating) - February 26, 2017
- IELTS Speaking Lessons - February 21, 2017
- Advanced Vocabulary List for IELTS - January 24, 2017
- 42 Topics for IELTS Speaking Part 1 and Suggested Answers (PDF) - April 14, 2016
- IELTS Target Band 7: How to Maximize Your Score (Ebook) - March 29, 2016
- Ace the IELTS: IELTS General Module – How to Maximize Your Score (3rd edition) - October 10, 2015
- IELTS Part 2 Sample: Describe a time you spent a lot of money on something - September 20, 2019
- Band 8 Sample for IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topic: Photographs - September 20, 2019
- New IELTS Speaking Part 1 with Band 9 Model Answer – Topic: Rubbish/ Garbage - September 13, 2019
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!