IELTS Speaking Part 2 Topic:
Describe a birthday celebration that you attended recently.
- IELTS Speaking Part 1, 2 & 3 Topic in 2018: Daily Routine & Sample Answers
- IELTS Cue Card Sample 109 – Topic: A positive experience when you were a teenager
- IELTS Cue Card Sample 107 – Topic: Describe a time you were friendly to someone you didn’t like
- IELTS Cue Card Sample 105 Topic: A situation made you angry
- IELTS Cue Card Sample 101 Topic: An age/stage you enjoyed most
You should say:
- Whose birthday it was
- who attended the party
- where did it take place
and describe the party.
I have attended so many birthday parties, but the one I remember the best is the birthday of my grandfather when he turned 80. That celebration is one of the best memories I can keep about him.
To people in our country, 80 years old is a special milestone in everyone’s life as the old people are respected for their experience and wisdom. Thus, in 80th birthday celebration, people often hold a big and extremely memorable party, inviting a lot of people to attend. Among invitee list, there are a lot of our relatives, neighbors, friends and local authorities.
My grandfather’s 80th birthday celebration took place in a convention near his house. It was such a quality time for my whole family and all our beloved relatives and friends to sit together. Everyone tried to choose a special gift for my grandpa. I was a little bit astonished when I saw the number of gifts my grandpa received, which meant how much my grandpa was loved. People also sent greetings to him, which are mostly about health. Then, people enjoyed the party with delicious and well-prepared food.
However, the most lovely part of the celebration was the time after party. When all of invitees had left, our family gathered together and took a trip down memory lane. It reminded me of the good old days, when I was knee high to a grasshopper and still a little stubborn girl who always got into trouble. No matter how serious problem I got, I could always ask my grandpa for helps or advice as he would never turn his back on me.
Time flies so fast, but memory still lasts. Grandpa and his 80th birthday celebration would definitely be among my sweetest memory.
- turn 80: reach the age of 80.
Ex: I was considered an adult since I turned 18
- milestone: an action or event marking a significant change or stage in development.
Ex: The speech is being hailed as a milestone in race relations
- wisdom: the quality of having experience, knowledge, and good judgment; the quality of being wise.
Ex: A stoic is a person who combines the qualities of wisdom , upright dealing, and courage.
- take place: happen or occur
Ex: When will this party take place? It’s taking place right now.
- Quality time: time that you spend with someone, usually your partner or child, doing enjoyable things together so that your relationship remains strong
- astonished: greatly surprised or impressed; amazed.
Ex: He was astonished at the change in him
- took a trip down memory lane: To reminisce over memories of past events, especially happy ones
Ex: Our family spend more time taking trips down memory lane when we have dinner together.
- knee high to a grasshopper: very young
Ex: I haven’t seen him since I was knee-high to a grasshopper
- turn one’s back on somebody: to refuse to help or be involved
Ex: How can we turn our backs on people who have no homes, no jobs, no hope?
Latest posts by IELTS Expert (see all)
- IELTS Speaking Part 1, 2, 3 Topic: Work/Job & Model Answers - April 7, 2018
- IELTS Speaking Part 1, 2, 3 Topic in 2018: Language & Model Answers - March 31, 2018
- IELTS Speaking Part 1, 2 & 3 Topic in 2018: Daily Routine & Sample Answers - March 29, 2018
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!