IELTS Cue Card for IELTS Speaking Part 2:
Describe a sport that you have learned.
You should say:
what sport it is
when you learned it
what you learned to do and explain how you feel about this sport.
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 Band 9 Sample – Topic: Describe an important plant in your country
- Band 9 Sample for IELTS Speaking Part 2 & 3 in 2019 – Topic: Describe an occasion that you wore formal clothes
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 Sample: A time you invited family or friends to have dinner at home or restaurants
- Describe an occasion when you showed something new to younger people
- Describe a piece of information that you think is not correct
BAND 9.0 SAMPLE ANSWER:
Basketball is the sport which I have been interested in for a long time. Therefore, I have taken up this sport recently. Basketball is played by two teams of five members on a rectangular court, where the players of each team try to shoot the ball through the rival‟s hoop.
As far as I know, basketball is one of the most popular sports in the world. This is because of basketball‟s great benefits to our health, such as muscular development, height growth, and so on. Of course, it‟s also fastmoving and exciting. Considering its huge advantages, I decided to take up this sport. Actually, I have been learning it for three months at a sport center. Here, I am taking the beginner course which provides me with basic skills to play basketball such as dribbling, jumping and shooting. Also, I have many opportunities to practise these skills with experienced basketball players, which helps to improve my game a lot.
As a final point, I would emphasize that in the near future, I hope that I will be able to play basketball skillfully to improve my physical condition and really enjoy the sport to the full.
take up: [phrasal verb] learn or start to do something. Example: I decided to take up a new hobby – jogging.
rival: [noun] a person, team or company which competes with another in sport or business. Example: Nike and Adidas are rivals in the sportswear business.
hoop: [noun] the ring through which players throw the ball in basketball to score points. Example: The best basketball players consistently shoot the ball through the hoop.
muscular development: [expression] the process by which your muscles become stronger. Example: He uses the equipment at the gym every day in order to increase his muscular
dribbling: [gerund] a way of moving the ball with several short bounces on the basketball court. Example: I practice running and bouncing the ball in order to improve my dribbling for basketball.
to the full: [adverb] to the greatest possible degree. Example: Staying fit and healthy helps us to enjoy life to the full.
Latest posts by IELTS Material (see all)
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio - May 4, 2019
- All Useful IELTS Writing Lessons & Websites - February 27, 2019
- IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics 2019 (May – August) & Sample Answers - October 20, 2018
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!