IELTS Speaking Part 2 Topic:
Describe a success your friend has had that you are proud of.
You should say:
- what it was
- when it happened
- why your friend chose this area of activity
- how easy or difficult it was to achieve
- and explain why you thought this was a success.
I would like to share with you a success my friend has had that I am particularly proud of. My friend decided to tie the knot quite soon, right after she had finished her study at university. Therefore, she had to stay at home to take care of her new born baby for 3 years before her son was able to be admitted to kindergarten. After that, she had so much free time that she decided to get a job with the aim to earning more money and enlarging her social network. As she got a bachelor degree in accounting, she set a target to pursue this field. Unfortunately, the competition in applying for a job in accounting was so hard. She finally figured out that she had to get an ACCA certificate to be qualified for a vacancy in accounting department in her desired company.
This certificate was quite challenging to get, not only for the one who had left school so long as her, but also for the whole. She had to deal with a heavy loads of knowledge and textbooks, to revise things she had learnt before and acquire new things. Once, I looked at her textbooks when she brought to the cafeteria when we were gathering, I was extremely shocked because they were very thick and complicated. She had to understand and memorize all of them, which impressed me a lot as she was not good at studying when we were at school. At that time, she was busy as a bee, always attending training class in the daytime and burning the midnight oil night after night. Never ever in my life had I seen her so determined.
After 3 months of hard work, she finally managed to get that certificate. Now that she is currently working for her desired company, even get promoted recently, we’re still talking a lot about those days. All of us feel so proud of her success.
- tie the knot: get married
Ex: She’s planning to tie the knot with her boyfriend next month.
- admit someone (in)to (some place): to allow someone to enter some place.
- With the aim to: in order to
Ex: She tried to study English with the aim to becoming a bilingual.
- Set a target to V: be determined to V
Ex: she set a target to pursue this field
- Figure out: to be able to understand something or to solve a problem
Ex: We had to figure out the connection between the two events.
- vacancy: a job that no one is doing and is therefore available for someone new to do:
Ex: There is a vacancy for a shop assistant on Saturdays.
- busy as a bee: very busy
Ex: With all her activities, Sue is always busy as a bee
- Burn the midnight oil: to stay up working, especially studying, late at night
Ex: I have a big exam tomorrow so I’ll be burning the midnight oil tonight.
Latest posts by (see all)
- IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics 2019 (Sep 2019 – April 2020) & Sample Answers - August 20, 2019
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio - May 4, 2019
- Cambridge IELTS Series (1 – 14) for Academic and General Training Modules - April 22, 2019
- All Useful IELTS Writing Lessons & Websites - February 27, 2019
- 101 IELTS Reading Past Papers With Answers - January 23, 2019
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 & 3 Topics (Sep – Dec 2019) with Model Answers - December 25, 2018
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio [Latest Update] - December 21, 2018
- New IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics (Sep – Dec 2019) & Suggested Answers - December 20, 2018
- HIGH SCORING IELTS SPEAKING MODEL ANSWERS WITH AUDIO (BASED ON PAST PAPERS) - October 25, 2018
- IELTS Speaking Actual Tests (Sep – Dec 2019) & Suggested Answers - September 22, 2017
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 Topics in 2019 & Sample Answers - September 11, 2017
- IELTS Writing Task 2 Questions (2013 – 2018) & Model Answers - July 19, 2017
- IELTS Magazine – Week 1 (PDF) - May 20, 2017
- Useful IELTS Reading Websites & Resources for both Academic & General Training Module - April 28, 2017
- IELTS Writing Recent Actual Tests in 2018 & Band 8.0+ Sample Answers (Updating) - February 26, 2017
- IELTS Speaking Lessons - February 21, 2017
- Advanced Vocabulary List for IELTS - January 24, 2017
- 42 Topics for IELTS Speaking Part 1 and Suggested Answers (PDF) - April 14, 2016
- IELTS Target Band 7: How to Maximize Your Score (Ebook) - March 29, 2016
- Ace the IELTS: IELTS General Module – How to Maximize Your Score (3rd edition) - October 10, 2015
- IELTS Part 2 Sample: Describe a time you spent a lot of money on something - September 20, 2019
- Band 8 Sample for IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topic: Photographs - September 20, 2019
- New IELTS Speaking Part 1 with Band 9 Model Answer – Topic: Rubbish/ Garbage - September 13, 2019
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!