IELTS Speaking Part 2 Topic:
Describe a success your friend has had that you are proud of.
- IELTS Speaking Part 1, 2 & 3 Topic in 2018: Daily Routine & Sample Answers
- IELTS Cue Card Sample 109 – Topic: A positive experience when you were a teenager
- IELTS Cue Card Sample 107 – Topic: Describe a time you were friendly to someone you didn’t like
- IELTS Cue Card Sample 105 Topic: A situation made you angry
- IELTS Cue Card Sample 101 Topic: An age/stage you enjoyed most
You should say:
- what it was
- when it happened
- why your friend chose this area of activity
- how easy or difficult it was to achieve
- and explain why you thought this was a success.
I would like to share with you a success my friend has had that I am particularly proud of. My friend decided to tie the knot quite soon, right after she had finished her study at university. Therefore, she had to stay at home to take care of her new born baby for 3 years before her son was able to be admitted to kindergarten. After that, she had so much free time that she decided to get a job with the aim to earning more money and enlarging her social network. As she got a bachelor degree in accounting, she set a target to pursue this field. Unfortunately, the competition in applying for a job in accounting was so hard. She finally figured out that she had to get an ACCA certificate to be qualified for a vacancy in accounting department in her desired company.
This certificate was quite challenging to get, not only for the one who had left school so long as her, but also for the whole. She had to deal with a heavy loads of knowledge and textbooks, to revise things she had learnt before and acquire new things. Once, I looked at her textbooks when she brought to the cafeteria when we were gathering, I was extremely shocked because they were very thick and complicated. She had to understand and memorize all of them, which impressed me a lot as she was not good at studying when we were at school. At that time, she was busy as a bee, always attending training class in the daytime and burning the midnight oil night after night. Never ever in my life had I seen her so determined.
After 3 months of hard work, she finally managed to get that certificate. Now that she is currently working for her desired company, even get promoted recently, we’re still talking a lot about those days. All of us feel so proud of her success.
- tie the knot: get married
Ex: She’s planning to tie the knot with her boyfriend next month.
- admit someone (in)to (some place): to allow someone to enter some place.
- With the aim to: in order to
Ex: She tried to study English with the aim to becoming a bilingual.
- Set a target to V: be determined to V
Ex: she set a target to pursue this field
- Figure out: to be able to understand something or to solve a problem
Ex: We had to figure out the connection between the two events.
- vacancy: a job that no one is doing and is therefore available for someone new to do:
Ex: There is a vacancy for a shop assistant on Saturdays.
- busy as a bee: very busy
Ex: With all her activities, Sue is always busy as a bee
- Burn the midnight oil: to stay up working, especially studying, late at night
Ex: I have a big exam tomorrow so I’ll be burning the midnight oil tonight.
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!
Latest posts by IELTS Expert (see all)
- IELTS Speaking Part 1, 2, 3 Topic: Work/Job & Model Answers - April 7, 2018
- IELTS Speaking Part 1, 2, 3 Topic in 2018: Language & Model Answers - March 31, 2018
- IELTS Speaking Part 1, 2 & 3 Topic in 2018: Daily Routine & Sample Answers - March 29, 2018