Limited-Time Offer : Access a FREE 10-Day IELTS Study Plan!
Well, you can be asked to describe happiness, sorrow, greed, jealousy, hatred, love, and many others. Be objective. Don’t delve deep into any subject matter. If you are asked to describe a moment in your life when you felt very jealous, choose your words and keep a check on your grammar. Don’t get trapped in that emotion – which is jealousy here and go off track.
There are a lot of phrases to describe what you feel. Some of them are:
|In low spirits||Indicates sorrow|
|In seventh heaven||Indicates happiness|
|Green with envy||Indicates jealousy|
|To be smitten||love-struck|
The question is actually a trick to test your vocabulary. You have to say the same thing – that you were experiencing an emotion, but in different ways. So knowing synonyms is the secret to get a band 9 in this topic.
|Example – Do||Example – Don’t|
|I was over the moon when I read the letter.
It conveyed the intensity of my friend’s merriment in Hawaii. I was glad that he wrote to me.
|I was happy when I read the letter. It conveyed the intensity of my friend’s happiness in Hawaii. I was happy that he wrote to me.|
Given below are a list of oft repeated IELTS cue cards for the topic – Emotion
- Describe How You Behaved In A Stressful Situation
- Ambition You Have Not Yet Achieved
- A Paid Job You/A Friend Enjoyed Doing
- An experience you had as a member of a team
- A disagreement you had with a friend
- A TV Program that Made You Laugh
- A Goal that You Have
- Describe an Advertisement which you found very persuasive
- A Time You Used Your Imagination
- A Time You Need to Use Imagination
- A book that had a major influence on you
- Describe a success your friend has had or achieved
- A special and memorable meal you have had
- A situation made you angry
- A positive experience when you were a teenager
- Describe an unusual/ an unforgettable or memorable meal
- Describe an ambition you have not achieved yet
- Describe a song that has special meaning for you
- Happy Marriage
- Describe a piece of information that you think is not correct
- Describe a decision which you have made that you feel was wrong