Describe a book that had a major influence on you.
You should say:
I’ve had to deal with an overwhelming workload recently. However, if I have any spare time, I would like to sit down with a book and a cup of tea. Books always keep me calm and relaxed. Until now, I have read numerous books, but the one which has the greatest influence on me until now is The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho.
Alchemist was first published in 1988, but it is not until 2015 that I read this book. At that time, I had read “Little Prince”, and fallen head over heels in love with it. Then all of a sudden, I stumbled upon a review about Alchemist written that “It is like Little Prince for Asians”, which made me so curious about it and hunger for reading it. I decided to buy this book straight away. After spending a whole day reading the book, The Alchemist became my favorite book, surpassing “Little Prince”.
Although the book is not as thick as other famous novels like “Gone with the wind” and the like, it has still succeeded in inspiring a devoted following around the world. This story is about an Andalusian shepherd boy named Santiago who travels from his homeland in Spain to Egyptian desert in search of a buried treasure in the Pyramids. On the way he reach the destination, there are a number of obstacles that he has to overcome, and some people that give him a lot of lessons about life.
Though this kind of journey can be told in many other books, Alchemist, dazzling in its powerful simplicity and inspiring wisdom can give me an unique outlook on life. This story has successfully taught me about the importance of passion in every life. To pursue your passion, you should try as hard as possible.
- Deal with something (phrase) to take action to do something, especially to solve a problem
- Fall head over heels in love with (idiom) love somebody
- All of a sudden (phrase) suddenly
- Hunger: have a strong desire or craving for.
Ex: All actors hunger for such a role
- Straight away: without delay
- Surpass: exceed; be greater than.
Ex: Prewar levels of production were surpassed in 1929
- Symbolic: serving as a symbol.
Ex: A repeating design symbolic of eternity
- The like (phrase) and other similar things
Ex: There are courts for tennis and badminton and the like
- Following (noun) a body of supporters or admirers
Ex: Shayne Ward attracted a worldwide following because of his beautiful music.
- Shepherd boy: a boy who tends and rears sheep.
Ex: In numerous prints donkeys and sheep enslave millers and shepherds ; farmers pull ploughs or carry sacks and baskets.
- Pursue: follow (someone or something) in order to catch
Ex: The officer pursued the van
- Numerous: great in number; many.
Ex: He has attended numerous meetings and social events
- Dazzle in (phrasal verb): to impress someone a lot, for example with your beauty, intelligence, or skill
- Outlook on (phrase) your general attitude to things
Also check :