IELTS Cue Card Topic:
Describe an advertisement you have seen/heard recently
You should say:
- When and where you saw it
- What was advertised
- What the contents of the advertisements were
- And explain how you felt about it
Band 8.0+ Sample Answer
We have been bombarded with an array of advertisements every single day. Whether it is newspaper, television or social media like Facebook or LinkedIn, advertising always has their own way to reach us. One of the most frequent pieces of advertising I have encountered these past few days was about [tech event in your country 2018].
As an avid Facebook user, I scroll down my newsfeeds board practically every 30 minutes to stay abreast of every latest action within my social network. Admittedly, there are some better things I can do but I just can’t help myself. Therefore, the fact that the ads about [tech event in your country 2018] repeatedly popped up on my newsfeed really caught my attention. Some of my friends also shared this news. It piqued my interest so much that I paid a visit to their website to figure out what their gig was. As far as I am concerned, it is a 2-day international technology and investment event for entrepreneurs and business leaders. It is appealing not only to big tech companies but tech savvy individuals as well. The event aims to reach out to foreign investors, raising funding opportunities and developing the tech and startup community in the era where tech disruptions are leading almost every industry. With some of the most brilliant and world-class speakers, attendees are going to get some food for thought and inspiration during and after the event.
For me, it was a really useful ads because this big tech event was a golden opportunity for young and talented engineers, developers and entrepreneurs who are thriving non-stop toward a better future, a better life within [your country] and beyond. If I am able to schedule my time and afford the tickets, I will definitely be there to enjoy the vibe and explore many potentials in this rising industry.
Vocabulary & Useful Expression
- be bombarded with: to be attacked (with too much information, criticism…)
- stay abreast of: keep up-to-date
- pique someone’s interest: to arouse interest; to arouse curiosity
- pay a visit to: visit somewhere
- what one’s gig is (informal): what is special, interesting… about something
- tech savvy (a): well informed about or proficient in the use of modern technology
- food for thought: issues to be considered
- vibe (n): a mood or an atmosphere produced by a particular person, thing or place
- tech disruptions: newest innovations in technology
Also check :