Describe a Foreign Culture that you Like – IELTS Cue Card
Describe a foreign culture that you like.
You should say:
- what culture it is
- how you know about it
- what differences there are between that culture and your own
- and explain why you like that foreign culture.
Every country has its own culture to follow. The dictionary meaning of the word “Culture” is that it is the ‘way of life’ of people, meaning the way they live. Different countries have different cultures. A culture is passed on from one to another, remaining unchanged with every passing time. The celebration of Christmas and Thanksgiving in foreign countries grabbed my special attention.
I came to know about it mostly from storybooks, movies, and web series. The American sitcoms widely or descriptively show how beautifully they celebrate the two occasions.
Christmas is all about the birth date of Jesus Christ. But they celebrate Christmas royally. They bake cakes, decorate Christmas trees, visit the church, and even give gifts to one another. Our country celebrates it but not in such a grand manner. Our country does not have Thanksgiving celebrated like them but has other cultures to follow.
Both the event means to celebrate a single day from your busy schedule with your loved ones. Thanksgiving is celebrated in American countries as a mark of gratitude to the harvest and other blessings of the past year. It is mainly a way of showing how thankful they are for the food they get and for every good thing happening in their life. I think it’s a pretty culture to follow. Christmas on a snowy day is beautiful. I think it’s a very good culture to sip hot chocolate with your family and ponder about the day.
- Dictionary: a book or electronic resource that lists the words of a language (typically in alphabetical order) and gives their meaning, or gives the equivalent words in a different language, often also providing information about pronunciation, origin, and usage.
Eg: She bought a dictionary
- Ponder: think about (something) carefully, especially before making a decision or reaching a conclusion
Eg: She pondered upon the Project for sometime
- Hot chocolate: a drink made of cocoa
Eg: She made hot chocolate to stay up late
- Harvest: period of gathering in crops.
Eg: It is the farmer’s harvest period
Also check :