Do you like sunny days?
I definitely love sunny days, on which I can hang out with friends or do some sports. It is even better with the winds blowing. Sunny days are somehow helpful for laundry as well as cleaning both inside and outside the house.
What do you like to do when it’s a sunny day?
I’d love to participate in some outdoor activities under the sun like meeting up with some friends or do some sports, especially swimming. Or I’ll grab the chance for a photography tour. Everything becomes so clear and stunning on sunny days, no matter it’s early in the morning or late in the afternoon, as long as the sun shines, I’m sure I’ll find inspiration almost everywhere.
To grab the chance (v) to have an opportunity to do Sth
Would you like to stay at home or go outside when the weather is great?
I think I would say it depends on my mood and my workload. I definitely cannot go out enjoy myself if my work is still a mess, even though it was such nice weather. And unless I feel super energetic and motivated, I think most of the time I’d prefer staying inside, no matter how the sun shines or how cool the weather is.
Are there many sunny days in your hometown?
It is a modern big city so unless it’s our rainy season, otherwise the sun would shine most of the time, either during one day or the whole year. Sometimes the temperature rises so high that it feels like burning, that’s when people prefer staying indoor enjoying the cool air produced by air conditioners.
Does it rain much in your country? (Where? When?)
I would say yes. It rains a lot in the summer when tropical storms strike our country. There is torrential rain in the region in June, July and August, and the rainfall tends to be higher in the North than in the South.
Is there any part of your country where it doesn’t rain much?
To tell you the truth, I have no clue about this. I do not give a hoot about geography and the amount of rain in my country. I think the most rainfall is in the North where there is an intricate system of rivers.
Does it rain a lot in your hometown?
Well, it depends on the season. In winter and spring, there is a dearth of rain associated with the arid weather. In contrast, it is usually raining cats and dogs in summer and august, causing loads of troubles for people travelling on the road.
Tropical storm (phrase) A tropical storm is an organized system of strong thunderstorms with a defined surface circulation and maximum sustained winds between 34 knots (63 km/h) and 64 knots (119 km/h).
Torrential rain (phrase) If it’s raining extremely hard, then the rain is torrential
Give a hoot about something/someone (phrase) to not be interested in someone or something
Intricate (adj) very complicated or detailed.
Dearth (noun) a scarcity or lack of something.
Arid (adj) (of land or a climate) having little or no rain; too dry or barren to support vegetation
Rain cats and dogs (idiom) rain heavily
Describe your favorite season or time of the year
You should say:
when this time is
what the weather is like at this time
what you usually do at this time
and explain why it is your favorite time of the year
I think my favorite time of the year is spring. The main reason I like it is because it’s neither freezing cold nor scorching hot.
In some places I’ve lived, such as …, it rains most of the spring. But I was mainly thinking of when I lived in Sydney, it’s so beautiful all spring. The sky is blue and the weather is nice and warm. The flowers start to bloom and the leaves on the trees turn green.
Since Sydney has many parks, my family and I would often go for picnics in the parks where we would play badminton, eat, rest, and look at all the plants and flowers. Our favorite park was Botanical Garden. It had so many different kinds of plants, trees, flowers.
Another thing I like to do during springtime is to get up early and climb mountains. There was one mountain near our house called ABC , it wasn’t so high but there were no steps, only a few rough trails.
Another thing I like about spring is that when all the animals are born. That’s when you can see all of the little baby squirrels, dogs, cats, snakes, and spiders.The air always seems fresher in the spring, the sky is bluer, the grass greener, and the people friendlier—or at least I think so.
1. How do the different seasons affect the lifestyle of people in your country?
In places like A, B, C where it’s always hot there aren’t many extreme weather changes to worry about. But in other places such as X, Y, Z, the weather changes so drastically from summer to winter that it affects lifestyles. During the winter the weather may go below zero, and in the summer it may get as hot as 40 Celsius. That means you have to have different kinds of clothes for each season. Also, in the winter you might need heating and in the summer you will most likely have to use a fan or an air conditioner, on friend of mine uses both.
2. How do different seasons affect the way people feel?
One of the things that weather affects is the kind of food you eat, but when it’s really hot I don’t usually feel like eating a lot, just some fruit or quick and easy food, like sandwiches, cold noodles, whereas in the winter I usually feel like eating lots of food such as soups, rice, noodles, and the like. Also when it’s hot I just feel like sleeping, but in the winter I’m naturally colder, so I have to move around to keep warm.
3. How does the climate of a place affect the kind of buildings that are built there?
Well, if the climate is hot, then the builders will construct the buildings to stay as cool as possible. But if you are in a cold climate then you might find double insulation on the windows, or the houses will be built to retain heat as much as possible. It’s quite common to see a house with a bunch of open porches and verandas in a hot climate. And probably every room will have a hole for an air conditioning vent. But colder climates will most likely have central heating.
4. Do you think fighting global climate change is a governmental responsibility or the responsibility of individuals?
As the saying goes, many hands make light work. If the government and individuals work together on the climate problems, there will be many changes and more progress will be made. Of course more responsibility should fall on the shoulders of the government because they have the means to do more than the average citizen. But that shouldn’t stop ordinary people from doing their parts.
Latest posts by (see all)
- IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics 2019 (Sep 2019 – April 2020) & Sample Answers - August 20, 2019
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio - May 4, 2019
- Cambridge IELTS Series (1 – 14) for Academic and General Training Modules - April 22, 2019
- All Useful IELTS Writing Lessons & Websites - February 27, 2019
- 101 IELTS Reading Past Papers With Answers - January 23, 2019
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 & 3 Topics (Sep – Dec 2019) with Model Answers - December 25, 2018
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio [Latest Update] - December 21, 2018
- New IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics (Sep – Dec 2019) & Suggested Answers - December 20, 2018
- HIGH SCORING IELTS SPEAKING MODEL ANSWERS WITH AUDIO (BASED ON PAST PAPERS) - October 25, 2018
- IELTS Speaking Actual Tests (Sep – Dec 2019) & Suggested Answers - September 22, 2017
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 Topics in 2019 & Sample Answers - September 11, 2017
- IELTS Writing Task 2 Questions (2013 – 2018) & Model Answers - July 19, 2017
- IELTS Magazine – Week 1 (PDF) - May 20, 2017
- Useful IELTS Reading Websites & Resources for both Academic & General Training Module - April 28, 2017
- IELTS Writing Recent Actual Tests in 2018 & Band 8.0+ Sample Answers (Updating) - February 26, 2017
- IELTS Speaking Lessons - February 21, 2017
- Advanced Vocabulary List for IELTS - January 24, 2017
- 42 Topics for IELTS Speaking Part 1 and Suggested Answers (PDF) - April 14, 2016
- IELTS Target Band 7: How to Maximize Your Score (Ebook) - March 29, 2016
- Ace the IELTS: IELTS General Module – How to Maximize Your Score (3rd edition) - October 10, 2015
- IELTS Part 2 Sample: Describe a time you spent a lot of money on something - September 20, 2019
- Band 8 Sample for IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topic: Photographs - September 20, 2019
- New IELTS Speaking Part 1 with Band 9 Model Answer – Topic: Rubbish/ Garbage - September 13, 2019
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!