Key word: facts
1 Verb + facts
Use the correct form of these verbs:
be based on check
retain stick to
- My brother has a good memory and finds it easy to ___________ facts. I’m the opposite. I forget things easily.
- You’ll find everything you need to know about us in this booklet. It ___________ you all the basic facts and figures about the company.
- Professional journalists should always take the trouble to ___________ their facts before writing a story. Mistakes can be costly.
- Don’t give us your opinion or tell us who you think is responsible. Just ___________ the facts. That’s all we need to know at the moment.
- Newspapers are often accused of ___________ the facts. No wonder many people don’t believe what they read these days.
- Many of Shakespeare’s plays such as Macbeth and Julius Caesar are ___________ historical facts.
2 Common adjective collocations
Complete the sentences with these adjectives:
- Don’t fill your head with ___________ facts. Make sure you learn things that can help you get on in life and get a decent job.
- The book is full of___________ facts about the British Royal Family. For example, did you know they had to change their name?
- Our sales manager, Mr Thompson, will be able to help you. He has all the ___________ facts and figures at his fingertips.
- It’s a ___________ fact that boys develop later than girls.
- The police will have to support their case with ___________ facts if they are to prove that Manson was the killer.
- The newspaper claims to have unearthed some ___________ facts about the way the government is wasting taxpayers’ money.
3 Expressions with prepositions
Use a suitable preposition to complete the sentences:
- The fact ________ the matter is we can’t afford a new car at the moment.
- I thought the course would be difficult, but ________ actual fact, it was quite easy.
- I know________ a fact that she hasn’t paid the bill.
- No, I’m not leaving. As a matter ________ fact, I’ll be here for another three weeks.
- Lucy was delighted she’d got the job in Singapore – apart ________ the fact she’d have to leave her dog behind in the UK.
- It took me two years to get a decent job, ________ the fact I got a first-class degree!
4 Common expressions
Complete the sentences with these expressions:
the facts of life get your facts right
a statement of fact face the facts
- Before you start blaming us, you should ____________________________.
- Come on, Sue! _____________ ! You’re not as young as you used to be.
- My parents made sure I knew _____________ before I was ten.
- The government is totally corrupt! Is this _____________ or just another one of your crazy ideas?
1. Note the following expressions:
How do you account for the fact that crime is actually falling for the first time for years?
I resent the fact that some people get better medical care because they have money.
She’s finding it hard to accept the fact that her husband has left her.
The book contained some interesting facts and figures about the Space Shuttle.
2. ‘A fact of life’ is a negative situation that must be accepted:
Unemployment seems to be a fact of life nowadays.
3. ‘The facts of life’ explain where babies come from!
- retain 2. gives 3. check 4. stick to 5. distorting 6. based on
- useless 2. interesting 3. necessary 4. well- known 5. hard
- of 2. in 3. for 4. of 5. from 6. despite
- get your facts right
- face the facts
- the facts of life
- a statement of fact
Also check :