Using Collocation to Boost Your IELTS Score – Keyword: Influence
Key word: influence
1 Common adjective collocations
Complete the sentences with these adjectives:
- Our youngest son, Harry, can get very excited and a little wild at times, but his sister has a very___________ influence on him.
- I find it hard to teach when your daughter is in class. She has a ___________ influence on the rest of the students. Perhaps she should see someone about her behaviour.
- Will’s a bit depressed at the moment. I think he needs to mix with people who will have a more ___________ influence on his life.
- Our mother didn’t let us watch television when we were children. She believed it would have a ___________ influence on us.
- Today you can’t escape the___________ influence of television. It’s everywhere.
- Of all the teachers I had at school, one sticks in my mind. He was amazing! He had a ___________ influence on everyone he taught.
- International observers accused local politicians of interfering with the election by exerting ___________ influence on voters.
- I think that decision-making in our hospitals and schools should be free from ___________ influence.
2 Expressions with prepositions
Match the two halves of these sentences:
- The British were a major influence upon
- If you have any influence with Joanne,
- We have no influence over the children:
- The driver of the bus involved in the accident was found to be under the influence of drugs
- I have very little influence on
a who will get the manager’s job.
b when he was tested back at the police station.
c modern-day India and Pakistan.
d they do as they please.
e try to get her to change her mind and withdraw her resignation.
Go back and underline all the prepositions.
3 Verb + influence
Use the correct form of these verbs:
fall under have linger on
lose use be under
- My father___________ no influence whatsoever on my choice of career. He wanted me to go into banking!
- Millie is no longer the quiet, well-behaved child she used to be. She has___________ the influence of some older girls at school and now wants to go out clubbing all weekend – and she’s only just 13!
- My uncle’s a judge. He hopes to exert his influence to make the planning department change their minds. It won’t be the first time he has ___________ his influence in this way.
- When the teenager was caught driving the stolen car, he was found to___________ the influence of alcohol.
- Religion in the West isn’t the force it used to be. It’s ___________ much of its influence.
- Although Princess Diana died years ago, her influence still ___________. I think it will continue for many years to come.
In 3-2‘come under’ is also possible.
In 3-3 ‘exert’ and ‘exercise’ are also possible.
2. Note the following ways of describing big influences: The church no longer has a strong political influence.
The media has a powerful influence on public opinion.
In your teens, your peer group usually takes over from your parents as the major influence on you.
Professor Wilkins had a great influence on the shaping of the government’s education policy.
The Royal Family still exerts considerable influence.
1 calming 2. disruptive 3. positive 4. corrupting
5 pervasive 6. profound 7. undue 8. outside
Ex 2: l-c 2-e 3-d 4-b 5-a
- had 2. fallen under 3. used 4. be under 5. lost 6. lingers on
Also check :